Female RWBB II and Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The same situation as my last post.

Specific Feedback

As I mentioned in my last post, I framed this bird too low. In this one I cropped about 25 percent off the top and added the same to the bottom using content aware fill. I did quite a bit of repair to the fill to make it look “natural” and I’d be very interested in how well I did and if you spot any anomalies. I’m also interested in critiques of the composition.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/800, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. See above for cropping.

1 Like

Looks like a good job on the content aware fill. I like the composition and perhaps this image gives a little better environmental feel than the previous post, and we’re seeing more of the bird here with more of its colors, but I really like the pose on the previous post.

Hi Dennis,

I don’t see any repeating patterns or anything that doesn’t look natural, repeating patterns is the main thing to pay attention to.

Concerning the composition, I think the bird has plenty of room on the bottom and left side.
It might? maybe be a smidge tight on the right side? Not sure about that one. That’s really nitpicking though.

I like being able to see its size from the side in this one, the pose is great as well, the vertical you posted is equally as good, it’s just a different perspective of a handsome bird.
The head pointing slightly towards you and down is a real bonus.

Well done IMHO. :slight_smile:

Content Aware looks good, and the bird is beautiful with another nice pose. I might give her a little more room on the right, depending on what that area looks like. But very nice as presented.

@Merv and @terryb: A very good point on the right side. The image is full frame side to side, so adding more on the right requires adding more canvas. With the background texture being more or less vertical, I suspect Content-Aware fill would be very likely to create repeating patterns that would then have to be cleaned up. Not to say it couldn’t be done, just another complication. If I’d taken something off the left, I could probably blend that in on the right, but I didn’t. Now you’ve got me convinced that I should go play with it.

Well, it wasn’t as hard as I thought. Content-Aware did a nice job for at least that small amount. Just one small spot to clean up.

1 Like

Looks like you even gained a bit brighter color in the bird - at least on my screen.

@terryb Couldn’t resist another minor edit.

1 Like

It’s fun making a bird shuffle from one spot to another isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Seriously though, just minor things like a tad bit more canvas can make such a big difference.
Cropping a bit off the left side helped too.

I think it’s an improvement on an already outstanding image. The bird and the photographer deserve all the credit!

BTW, I really like your thin dual tone, color complimenting borders! :slight_smile:

Hi Dennis,
Love the backside view with the slightly fanned tail and good look at the eye. Repost is an improvement. Nicely done.

I’m late here, which saves me a lot of typing! Wonderful capture – it’s not easy to get good detail on the female but you captured her at her finest! I like the compositional tweaks – wonderful the tools we have these says! No further suggestions!