Foggy Reflections

Here’s another view of the same reservoir on the same day as my prior post. This time I wanted to isolate on the tip of the willow that was sticking out of the water. I like how the high key treatment give more prominence to the reflections and made separating the tree top from all the reflections somewhat challenging. It also gave more prominence to the subtle colors in the reflections.

Beautiful, Mark. The reflections have, at least for me, an impressionistic quality while leaving the focus on the willow. Was the high key effect created when you took the photo? Or after in post processing? If it was applied after, did you omit the willow and only apply the effects to the reflections?

Well seen and very different. Superb job in isolating your subject. The reflections add complexity to the image and make it work quite well.

I love this soft, dreamy image. I like the way the vertical line of the trees fade off at the top of the photo. The bush is perfectly placed in the UR. Having the soft, blurred water framing it helps set it off.

I really like this, Mark. Dreamy does describe it well. Just for yuks, I brought it into PS and real quick and dirty (very little effort masking), I desaturated everything except the willows. It is just a little different take on a really good image. :+1:

1 Like

Mark, I am becoming a huge fan of the high key look. I really like the subtle colors and how you handled them in post processing. I am sure this was difficult as you mentioned.

Oooh, very nice! I love the subtle colors and the change in the reflections from the uppermost part above the bush and just below it. Was that ice?

@Harley_Goldman, what a great idea. I wouldn’t have thought of it, but I like the subtle change in the reflected colors and how that lets the shrub stand out, mildly.

@linda_mellor, this was all done in raw processing but adjusting the histogram in multiple ways. This post came directly from Lightroom without any adjustments besides the histogram.

@Bonnie_Lampley, yes, there was a mix of ice and water, with a sheet of ice around the shrub.

1 Like

Beautiful High Key image Mark. I really like what @Harley_Goldman did do reduce the magenta and green tones in the image making the orange bush just pop. BUT, I also like the subtle colors that you have in the original. Looks like a very tough processing challenge you had to do with this one but it looks great.