Fresh air fifteen

I’m always amazed at the fact that delicate plants can withstand many snowfalls and stay intact. So when I saw this aster while in the woods I just had to stop for it. The clean snow and the gentle sunlight makes it feel so pristine and somehow hopeful even though the flowers are gone by. Most of the rest of you have fresh flowers to work with, but not up here. Not for months so this is what I’ve got.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Ok it’s a picture of a wildflower and not setting the world on fire.

Technical Details

Probably handheld although I did have a tripod with me

Lr for all processing including a little exposure boost and wb adjustment. Used masking to bring up texture and clarity in the flower only. Object selection worked the best to isolate it. HSL panel to bring up saturation in yellow and orange. A bit of a crop to better position the flowers.

3 Likes

Kris: Your snow images are always superb and this is no exception. I do love the light and your handling of the snow. I’m always encouraged to see somewhat mundane subject matter turned into a compelling image. Most excellent. >=))>

thanks @Bill_Fach - glad you like them and there will be more since there is likely to be snow on the ground for another month at least. Deep now though so probably most of the flowers are completely buried.

It is truly amazing how this plant is still upright and not bent. Even though I don’t have snow where I live, with the constant rain and strong winds we’ve had this winter, I’m amazed at how flowers and plants still stand and bloom. It reminds me of Ian Malcolm’s quote in Jurassic Park, “Life finds a way.”

This image personifies that quote to me. I especially love the bright spots of snow. Very well done.

That is definitely part of the magic, @David_Mullin, winter has a gentle side. Spot on with the Life finds a way quote. It always does. I’m glad it resonates with you. Little scenes like this will stop and make me think about them and think about ways to photograph them. Am planning to go snowshoeing again today (because what else do you do with 3 feet of the stuff on the ground?) and I hope there are still some things left unburied.