Frost

What a beautiful shot, I love the peaceful mood/colors. The fog and the big trees to small give this image a lot of depth. I agree with Tony about burning the white things in the foreground. As the crop is its perfect but It would also make a nice pano :thinking:

1 Like

Wonderful colours and composition hereā€¦ What really catches my attention is the light as it illuminates the top of the trees in the middle of the scene, and also the frozen features (is it grass?) on the foreground. I immediately felt like Iā€™d like to highlight these points of interest by removing colour altogether (even though itā€™s gorgeous), and by also reducing exposure on the periphery of the scene. All these are subjective of course, but I quickly gave it a shot and uploaded my version here. I acknowledge that itā€™s a radically different version from the original, but oh well, we are in the critique section :slight_smile:
Again, Nick, please donā€™t get me wrong, this is a wonderful image with really nice coloursā€¦ Very nicely done :kudos

3 Likes

Dang Nick, this is one sweet looking winter scene. If this would have been the only image you captured this past winter it would be a success IMO. The light throughout the scene is magical as is the fog. This is being real nitpicky, but the cyan in the sky toward the URC is a little strong for my tastes. I hope you donā€™t mind, but I did a little rework with the cyan lowered a little. If it is not your vision feel free to ignore me. You were definitely in the right place at the right time.

4 Likes

Nikos, I really like what you did hereā€¦I think it looks great and believe I might try that on the large file as a second image from the same shot. Thanks for the nice comment and your vision of this. Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks so much! Yes, that looks very nice to me!! Thank for the kind words too! Cheers!

Blake, Thanks much! I agree a pano crop could work quite nice here. I have a couple of other shots of this that I will give that a try on.

Super late to the party here but WOW! This is just exceptional Nick. I love the original and agree with @Tony_Siciliano suggestions and also with @Ed_Lowe comment about the Cyan color in the URC of the sky. But I really LOVE what @Nikos did with the B&W version. Stunning! I think he nailed it. You canā€™t go wrong with either versions here. They are both just phenomenal.

Just for write that I too love the photo and that is needless but I wanted to say that I adore the B&W version: without the distracting colors the whole attention goes to the splendid atmosphere, an emotion.

David and Giuseppe, Thanks so much! So glad you liked this! I agree the B&W that Nikos did looks awesome! Looking forward to doing a conversion on the large file. Cheers!

Another stunning winter scene Nick. I prefer the magic of the color version.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Eva! I think the combination of those colors works really well together and it was quite a special morning.

Wow, this is an incredible view and masterfully crafted, Nick. I have to laugh at what you call a frosty morning! In Florida, a frosty morning is if the temp dips into the 40ā€™s. Iā€™m not sure what the temp was on this morning, but Iā€™m betting it was a bit cooler than 40 degrees. Back to the image, youā€™ve really knocked this out of the park.

Hi Bill, Thanks so much for your comment and Iā€™m so glad you enjoyed the picture. It was probably around 50 degrees colder than that. Cheers, Nick

@Nick_Bristol I love it when the light and conditions come together!

You have an excellent composition! I like how our entry way into the image on the left isnā€™t cut off but begins here and then how my eye travels left to right, going deeper into the image before it takes a turn to head back into the image and explores the trees in the distance.

One compositional suggestion I have is to cut some of the sky out with a 2:1 or 16:9 crop.

Michael

1 Like

Michael, Thank you! It was an amazing winter morning with all the rime ice and I was so lucky to find this scene when the light and conditions were wonderful. I can see that cropping some of the sky would work. Thanks much, Nick