Garden Dining

With all of the time that I’ve spent hanging out in my backyard looking for macro subjects, I’ve been able to watch (and capture) several predation events. In this case the Carolina Mantis was exploring some Queen Anne’s Lace, when it caught this ant. When I moved the camera slightly, it turned its head to make sure that I wasn’t going to be a problem. (5D3, 180mm macro, 1/125 s, f/11, iso 1600, tripod)

Mark: I think you’ve mistaken the head turn; he was probably sizing you up for desert. Marvelous find and a spectacular capture.>=))>

This is exceptional on so many levels, Mark. The colors are captivating, and the Mantis looking at you is both spooky and spectacular! What a great find and excellent technical execution.

Mark, I love the expression on both the ant and the mantis. A really super good shot. I never thought I would feel sorry for an ant, but I kind of do here, as you know pretty much that he is about to be a snack for the mantis. Great shot.

Amazing Mark, just amazing. So agree with the other comments; exceptional, great expressions, marvelous. . . . .great job!

Excellent timing here, Mark.
What drew me to this mantis photo was my battle with honey-bees swarming my hummingbird feeders for the first time in 40 years. After much re-engineering of the feeders I’ve cured that issue.
However, while researching Youtube for ideas I saw one where a large mantis sitting on a feeder had actually grabbed a hummer and was killing it. Thankfully the video-er stepped in and knocked them apart. I had no idea they could be that large & aggressive .

An excellent macro, Mark! Love the detail and the drama! The eye to eye connection is a big bonus also. Well done! :+1: