Gold-banded lily

Description: This flower is called “yama-yuri” in Japanese. “yama” means “mountain” and “yuri” means “lily”. It’s a Japanese lily that grows in the mountains. The flowers that bloom in summer are large and white, and they stand out in the mountains and give off a strong fragrance.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any critique or comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon EOSRP, Canon Macro 100mm, f2.8 Focus stacking

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1 Like

What a showy bloom. I was wondering where you got off to, Nao. Glad you’ve dropped in again. I don’t know of any white lilies like this in the US so this is a special treat. Are they all on one stem?

Gorgeous!! Perfect stacking to show off the lovely structure of the main flower. I wonder about lowering saturation on the OOF tree on the right and bending its colors toward greens so it blends better with the rest of the BG.

Thank you, Kristen. Yes, they are all on one stem. The weight of the flowers makes the whole stem tilt like a bow.

Thank you, Diane. I was also wondering the right tree is standing out and magenta too much.

Welcome back! This is a beautiful group of flowers. Would it have been possible to separate the two middle petals of the central flower so that it could be standing out even more? That’s the only change I would suggest, but it’s a super shot - I can imagine the scent filling the woods too.

Wow! What a beautiful image.

My first impression was that there were too many blossoms in the frame, but after gazing many times since you posted, the grouping has grown on me and I feel that the out of focus flowers fuse to create a partial halo frame around the central lily.

I checked on the species, Lilium auratum and one of the characteristics is the vast number of flowers. You’ve captured that key feature very well, and highlighted one bloom perfectly.

ナマステ

Beautiful. I love the work you did on Focus Stacking. The main flower totally in focus, and the other flowers/background out. Nice touch.

Nice to know, thanks Paul. That is one very impressive looking species of flowers. The colors and design of the flower is just beautiful. Your focus stacking did a great job here, not an easy stack to do I suspect. And your processing of color is excellent, vibrant but not over-saturated…

My only suggestion would to make a crop from the right. The background is more distracting there, and a crop would also place more emphasis on that wonderful blossom in the center, by making it larger in the frame. but that is a nitpick, overall this is a great image Nao.

Thank you for your suggestion, Ed. I put in the tree on the right to show the environment where the flowers were blooming. But as you suggest, cropping from the right would make the blossom stand out clearly.

It depends what your intent for the image is about. The wider view tells a nature story about the flowers environment, the tighter view is more of a flower portrait. Each work well for a given purpose.

1 Like