Good morning NPN. My name is Cameron

Hello everyone. I initially missed the introduction thread and posted a few things elsewhere but I’ll try to circle back around. I live in Marquette, Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior. I shoot with both a Sony Alpha and a DJI mini drone. I initially found Matt Paynes podcast which led me to the Natural Landscape Awards and then here. Glad to be part of the community. I used to be a part of the Nat Geo Your Shot community and have been hoping to find another site with similar offerings - thoughtful photography criticism and a community that is about more than followers and likes. The above photo is from an exceptionally cold -20 February morning here in Marquette. I love searching the lakeshore for pancake ice and other winter formations.

1 Like

Welcome. I am Matt from Mount Pleasant, in the center of the lower peninsula. I am currently working on a project to photograph all of Michigan’s State Parks. At this moment, we are in the far south end of the state at Warren Dunes. The water warmed up nicely while we were here so the kids are loving it, and I got some great pictures. I am hoping to get a trip through the upper peninsula next summer, and the summer after that as well. (There is a lot to see.)
I also enjoy photographing The Great Lakes in the winter. I think they are very interesting frozen. I can feel the cold just sitting here. (I actually had to switch phones for my drone, because my iPhone wouldn’t hold a charge in far warmer temperatures than you are describing.)
I have been a member of NPN a year or so myself and have found it to be everything I hoped it would be. I am sure you will, too. If I can help you in any way, do not hesitate to let me know.

Hi and welcome, Yooper Cameron! I did a photography workshop out of Marquette last year. Not too much of a haul since I live in Northern Wisconsin so hello to another Great Lakes Region resident! I guess I should put a shot of Munising’s Wagner Falls in the Icons category for us or maybe Marquette Harbor Light.

Oh and pancake ice. What a treat. It has to be cold for that (I’ve only shot it once and in New Hampshire of all places), but it’s worth it. Looking forward to shots of the U.P. and other places from you and to your thoughts and ideas about other photographs and nature photography in general.

Hi Matt! Both of my younger brothers went to Central and I graduated from MSU. Spent a lot of time down that way. Your state park project sounds cool. We have a number of really nice ones up here. Bewabic in Iron County where I grew up, McLain up by Houghton and of course Tahquamenon is beautiful. Whenever you make it up this way and if you have any UP questions I’d be happy to field whatever.

My camera batteries seem to drain incredibly fast in subzero weather. I usually pack about 3-4. I guess it’s ok because I don’t usually last much longer than they do.

Hello cheesehead Kristen😉! Glad to meet some other Great Lakes region people on here. My parents were both from Wautoma and I’ve spent a lot of time in Wisconsin. I’d consider it my second state home if that could be a thing. I’m definitely more of a shoot what’s around you type than a travel to take photos type so I’ll probably be posting a lot of the lake. I feel very privileged to be able to live so near such an awesome body of water. Have a great day.

1 Like

Chemical hand warmers are your friend for long cold-weather days. Keep one in your pocket and cycle batteries through there. Keeps them warm, charged and ready to go. Plus you know…your fingers, too!

1 Like

Hi Cameron! Welcome to NPN! I’m not a great Laker - I live north of Seattle on an island in the Puget Sound. Winter cold here is nothing compared to what you experience. We think it’s cold when temps drop to +30! :grin:

1 Like

I definitely travel with them for hands and feet but have not really used them for batteries. I tend to keep my batteries in an interior pocket. I have also heard of people attaching hand warmers directly to the camera outside of the battery compartment. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Steve! Thank you. Some days 30 degrees can feel down right balmy. About 10 years ago we went 90 days with only 1 day above 0 F. That was quite a winter. There were icebergs in the lake in June.

Welcome to NPN, Cameron. This is a stunning image. Well done. I love the ice, cold feeling, and the distant sun coming up. Excellent.

Looking forward to you participation in our community.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thank you David! Glad to be here.

Hi Cameron and welcome to NPN! I thought I would quote this right and just confirm that indeed this site is about thought criticism - constructive criticism where we all try and check our egos at the door - as they say.

We’re excited to see all the new members and look forward to your images and participation!

Lon

1 Like

Welcome, Matt! I am sure you will like it here. It is a great place for learning from receiving comments but also by giving and reading comments regarding other members images. What a nice first posting, looking forward to see more postings from you.

1 Like

Thanks Lon! Nice to meet you.

Thanks Ola. Nice to meet you as well.

I hope you enjoyed your time down here. I know I always enjoy my (limited) time in the Northern reaches of the state.

I am sure I will take you up on that. Like I said, I am hoping for next summer!

We don’t have too many days below zero down here, but, so far, I have been very pleased with how my Nikon Z6ii has performed in the cold weather I have used it in. (I still only have the one battery pack that was included with the camera.) I can’t even think about below zero days any further right now! :slight_smile:

Hi Cameron. Glad you’re here. Very lovely image! I’m a Minnesotan with a similar affinity for bitter cold mornings on the shores of Superior. I look forward to seeing more of your work from Gitchigami and beyond.

1 Like

Cameron, welcome to NPN! So great to have you here! NPN is definitely the right place for growing our photography.

1 Like

Thank you Alfredo. Glad to be here.