Good Times at 31 Below

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I love the fog coming off of the open area of water. I love the shadows of the bridge being cast into the foreground. The fog was a little too dense to get good rays coming through the bridge, plus I’ve actually overexposed the area where the sun is.

Creative direction

I just really wanted to convey how cold it was! This is the coldest temps I have ever photographed in, although 27º below zero while shooting the stars did feel colder that this -31º with sunshine!

Specific Feedback

I’m always open to any feedback on any element of my photos

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-4.5
ISO 64, f/11, 1/200th, 18mm
Circular Polarizer
This is a 7 image pano of verticals, cropped to 2:3

It’s processed in Lightroom Classic CC. Pretty much just reduced the hightlights, increased the exposure, and lightened the shadows. I actually walked through the lower right corner of the image so I had to clone out my tracks!

Description

Let’s just get this out of the way right now, I do not like being cold. At home, the thermostat is set to 70º when we are home, and you’re still likely to find me under a blanket. That being said, I do LOVE a good adventure! With the temperature varying from 30 to 40 degrees below zero, this morning seemed like as good an opportunity as any to go look for an adventure. I drove around a little bit, but I knew I would end up here. This old steel truss bridge over the Gallatin River draws me to it like a magnet to iron. This old bridge was built in 1919 and spans just over 140ft. The morning was full of sounds. The slushy ice scraping against the shore ice was is an oddly pleasant sound. The bridge itself makes somewhat frightening sounds as the steel contracts in the extreme cold. Even the old cottonwoods surrounding the bridge creak, groan and pop in the cold. You can tell the difference between the two sources of sounds. The bridge sort of clanks like you might expect something made of riveted pieces of metal to sound like. The forest makes a much deeper organic sound. It is almost as if you can hear it calling out for respite from the severe winter we are experiencing. As for me, I got the images I needed to create this panorama, and quickly got back to my warm truck to thaw out. The natural world is a wonder to me. I saw deer digging through deep snow to find a nibble of grass. I saw a flock of Canada Geese laying out in a field, on top of the snow. I suspect they spent the night out there. The river and creeks are about as iced over as I have ever seen them. I’m thinking we might finally have a good old-fashioned winter this year, not that Winter has exactly been paying attention to the calendar this year!

1 Like

Paul,

BRRRRRRRR! Yes, looks pretty dang cold. I have no idea what it’s like any temp below zero. I don’t even know how a camera/lense can function at those temps! yikes.

Ok, it’s a given it’s dang cold. The image? Is Gorgeous! This is striking, glorious - pick an adjective. The processing here is outstanding. I love the warmth of the sun - the blue and gold combination is almost always a beautiful one.

I got nothin’. Wouldn’t change a thing. Outstanding image.

Lon

I agree with @Lon_Overacker, this is gorgeous, Paul. I don’t like being cold either, but to suffer through the cold to nail this image, wow!

This is pretty cool (haha).
A few things jumped out at me. One - you chose to use a polarizer during a panorama - I’m surprised you were able to get such an even-colored sky… something to watch out for!
I think the blown out sun is fine.
The image is very “right-heavy” for me - and I think a crop could fix that.
I’m not totally sure you knew what the hero of the photo was here… for me, it’s the fog. I would have been very compelled to get tight on some of those trees with the fog rising up out of them.
I REALLY like the long shadows from the bridge so that would be another opportunity to focus on if you were to crop this image. Overall I think you did a nice job here… I’m not not a huge fan of all that empty space upper left.
Cheers.

Thanks Matt! I think I got away with no vignetting because I’ve cropped it down quite a bit. I’ve honestly not had a huge problem with that on other images. I do have other images where I focused more on the fog. Like to, I love fog! This spot is very near my work so I head here any time it’s foggy! If I was truly a die hard, I’d have put my waders on and got closer to the trees on the right side! Appreciate your input and love the heck out of your podcast. It’s been super inspiring lately.

1 Like

This makes me shiver just looking at it, especially given your tale. I’m surprised your battery didn’t give up after the first shot or two. Wading out in weather like that? Now that’s just crazy talk. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I love so much about this Paul. I agree that the processing is wonderful; the overall blue accentuates the cold and I love the warm gold trying to break through. The frost and fog add another layer of beauty, and the bridge and shadows make a great focal point. @Matt_Payne may be on to something with trimming that left side some.

1 Like

Paul, you succeeded wildly in conveying the coldness of the scene! Also, with the 7 panel pano there’s tons of detail. Well done!

1 Like

Sweet! I look forward to seeing more from this great spot. Nice find!

I’ve never really struggled with battery life in extreme cold. I shoot in the teens above to 20 below fairly frequently here. This battery took probably 100 images this day and then I used it for a few more days. Thanks for the kind words. I’ll play with this some more in the coming days.

1 Like

The Cold and beauty is all here. I like you blocked the sun with the bridge. Great shadows. What is Polarizer. Ive used Posterize on PS … and Solarize as well. Beautiful shot.