Graceful Dunes

These are the dunes at 10 Mile Beach in MacKerricher State Park on the northern California coast. I love the sweep of the lower dune into the shadow.

Do the wispy clouds add or detract, do you think? Any other critique is welcome, too. I brought out more detail/texture in the sand, but the sun angle, although low, was not quite right to made the ripple textures really stand out.

a7, 24-105mm @ 37mm, f/16, 1/320s, ISO 400

This is gorgeous, Bonnie. I think the textures in the ripples are fine-I like how they disappear and give you that smooth path leading up the near dune. Since the clouds flow in the same general direction as the dunes, I think they add to the image more than a plain sky would. I’m especially fond of that narrow line snaking across the upper dune and disappearing into the lip-it seems to add a lot to the image.

1 Like

Lovely work, and the processing looks very nice indeed. I like the wispy clouds as they add another dimension to the scene. There are just enough ripples IMO to make it known what we are looking at. Lovely tones and shadows.

1 Like

Bonnie, the sweep of these dunes with the dark middle shadow is very striking. The clouds add well to the sense of movement. My one thought is to darken the blue in the sky to let the clouds stand out a bit more.

1 Like

Thank you, @Dennis_Plank and @Kathy_Barnhart. Thanks for the thought, @Mark_Seaver; I vacillated between making the sky darker vs. lighter - will try darker.