Ground colors from sky reflections

Late in the afternoon with a bit of clearing, I was struck by the colors showing in the fields as I looked east. The change from green to yellowish (normal) to a touch of red in grasslands that all show the same color during the day. That has me guessing that the colors seen here are due to what is reflecting from the sky, heavy clouds, light clouds, or the nearly transparent clouds. I’ve posted the full frame and a pano crop, because I’m not sure which one I like better. I think that the pano crop fits the scene better, but the full frame shows the cloud structures better.

5D3, 100-400 f4 IS II @ 105 mm, 0.3 s, f/16, iso 100, tripod and cable release

A very nice, expansive scene, Mark! Although I’m a big fan of panoramas, I think I prefer the full height version in this case as the sky dynamics are a big part of image and also explain some of the colors. It looks to me that the late evening blues is changing the greens to a blue-green and the oranges to red while the indirect lighting from the bright cloud is reflecting off the snow and maintaining a warmer effect on the peaks. Maybe a tad bit of sharpening would help the larger version.

Some very interesting colors here influenced by the sun reflecting off the clouds and places. The greens are unworldly; slightly desaturated and darkened by lack of sunlight. A very interesting contrast between the land and the sky.

Mark, I have to say I’m really into the pano version. It has an excellent perspective for me. The full size has me wandering a bit in the larger framing. Heck, in the end the super up side to any full size image is they can most always be cropped for a different look as you’ve done here with this scene…:sunglasses:

btw: Did you ever receive my email on the TPE item, and was it of help?..:thinking:

Mark, put me down for the full frame. I like the feel of vast expanse of the full. It is hard to go wrong with either, but I like the feel of the FF.

I like the pano version, but I gotta go with Harley–the FF has a vastness that projects a more dramatic mood. The foreground greens look a tad cyan-heavy to me, but that is minor.

nicely done!
-P