Hello everyone!

I have no idea how many people I am including in this greeting but hopefully over time I can find something to share that resonates with you.

I am an Alberta farm girl, still Canadian, living in Oregon. I started taking pictures when we were missionaries in Ethiopia in the late 60’s, and hopefully have learned something since then. I love nature, being outdoors, capturing things perhaps others don’t notice, and sharing it.

I want to improve my photography, not just having the critique of my own images but learning from the images and critiques of others. I am hoping this is an honest site, not just “nice photo”.

1 Like

Welcome! What a beautiful mallard. I want to see more shots like this - different, original.

Thanks, Mike. I have never shown it before because it IS different. I guess I tend to be a bit off the wall.

ml

1 Like

Welcome, Mary Lane. Your photo intrigued me. I enjoy these types of photos that pull you in and get you to explore their details. Looking forward to your future contributions.

Hi Mary Lane (or do you prefer Mary?)! I believe you will find this to be both honest but gentle in critiques, but also a place that fully appreciates different, odd and off-the-wall photography.

I have no idea how Mike knew this was a mallard. I don’t see anything in your introduction and the intimacy of the photo didn’t give me near enough to guess it, but I love photos like this. Well done and keep’em coming!

Welcome to NPN Mary Lane? Glad to have you here and thanks for jumping in with the intro.

Beautiful image! - I might have guessed blue-winged teal… but I think Mike is correct on the Mallard ID. :slight_smile: for sure a wonderful and abstract intimate portrait of nature.

Absolutely! I think NPN prides itself in going well beyond the “attaboy” and “likes” (ok, we do have the “Like” feature … ) but so much more in terms of sincere, honest and thoughtful comments, critiques and feedback to our images.

Looking forward to your images and participation.

Lon

Steve, Mary Lane is my full and only given name. Thanks for asking and noticing. I purposely didn’t put any identification on the subject because I think that is one of the surprises of close-up/macro/abstract. Mike is a birder, and in a way, so am I. I’m too old to be flinging a big hand held tripod, but I take the shot if I can get close enough! Feathers are fantastic!

Thank you–you probably will see more from time to time.

Thanks, Lon. From what I have gleaned so far, this is going to be a good place for me. And yes, it is a Mallard.

Hi and welcome Mary Lane. Lady mallards do have some secret beauty don’t they? Such a treat to see this detail so close. Usually all I get is flap-flap-flap-gone! Glad you have joined and hope you jump right in and contribute images, conversation, and critique.

Thanks, Kristen.

Welcome! Hope to see more images; we appreciate thinking outside the box. I tend to not be so creative, but wish I was. Love the inspiration!

Hello Mary Lane, welcome to NPN. I know you’ll get a lot out of this community. I love the abstract wildlife feel of your image. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi Mary Lane, and welcome to NPN. What a great first posting, I really love the abstract feel of it. I just wanted to have seen some more of the part at the feather pen(?) at the right border connecting to the blue spot. It has such a beatiful shape and patterns.