Here kitty, kitty

The wife and I enjoyed watching this bobcat mill around our backyard yesterday (Saturday, January 21, 2022) during the lunch hour. This shot was taken as he was leaving. He had been right up by the deck, where I got a few closeups of her/him. I think it may be “her”, or possibly a youngster.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any. Of course, she would choose to stop in the only bit of shade in the entire backyard this time of year.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 200mm, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 100. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. A luminosity mask was also applied to tone down the bright highlights. Topaz De-noise applied.

3 Likes

Such an awesome sighting! Hopefully she’ll come back.

2 Likes

Thanks, Vanessa. I got a nice video of her, too. It was fun and really surprising to see her. Generally, they are reclusive and very spooky. But she didn’t seem alarmed at us at all.

1 Like

It is so exciting when wildlife comes to meet you!

1 Like

Yes, it was exciting and fun, Jagdeep. I will post a closeup photo later today with more info I have learned about this particular cat.

She’s beautiful!! I’d be camped on the deck waiting for the next opportunity! Looks like a good job on toning down the highlights.

I think a crop from the top would work to make the kitty a little bigger in the frame, as there isn’t much to provide a visual balance for a smaller subject.

I don’t disagree with you concerning the crop. I left it like that so I could remember exactly where she was in the yard when I photographed her. However, you’re point is well-taken, and I will post an edit with a different crop.