Heron Pond w/ revision

Revised:

Original:

This image is from day 3 of the Oregon coast trip with @John_Williams. The heavy fog was still dominating the coast so we drove away from the beach looking to escape the fog. We came across this scene so used the car as a blind and tripod.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

D850, 70-200 at 200mm, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/125th sec exposure

2 Likes

Perfect timing for this week’s challenge!

This turned out well Steve. That’s a lush stream and the heron is a great addition. I really like the reflected greens below the heron and rock.

A couple of ideas to play with. This may be slightly rotated CCW. I like this as is, but can also see a tighter crop to emphasize the heron, as apposed to this view which IMHO emphasizes the stream. In addition, you could play a little with brighter heron/darker everything else to make the bird stand out a bit more. Here’s a crude edit with those thoughts in mind. Not necessarily better, just a different interpretation.

This scene fits the challenge perfectly, Steve! The landscape has a lot of interesting details to look at plus great reflections and the Heron is an excellent compliment to the landscape. I agree with Johns suggestions and edit. It appears he added some contrast to the whole scene also which would have been one of my suggestions as it amplifies the impact of the reflections. I like the sharp details in the scene, including the Heron. I also like the peaceful/tranquil mood. The large version is particularly nice as it has much more presence. Nice shot :+1:

Thank you for your comments @John_Williams and @Gary_Minish. I’ve added a new version based on your suggestions. Did I overdue it?

Maybe just a tad too dark? I do like the way the heron pops out though.

Steve, the extra contrast, slightly darker version looks great, with the darkness addiing well to create a quiet, pensive mood, that isn’t there in the original.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver! I appreciate the comment.

Verrry nice!!! I love the subject and composition, and the darker version really pops! I love the wonderful sharpness, too!!