Hey everyone- Terrance here!

Good evening - my name is Terrance and after several years of pondering on this forum I finally decided to take the plunge. Although I have lived all over the country, my home for the last 25 years has been southeast Michigan. My photography experience began early; moving up through Instamatic and 35mm film, and into today’s digital world. Most of my experience has been through trial & error, books (old school style), and more recently on-line videos through YouTube, as well as some great photography classes at the Toledo Museum of Art and local colleges. As an environmental engineer for over 40 years, I’ve always been drawn to nature around the globe. Since retiring in 2018, after 23 years as Executive Director of Environment, Health & Safety for the University of Michigan, I now have the time to pursue my passion for nature photography.

Travels include 47 of the 50 states (missing only Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire) as well as a number of countries including numerous trips to our wonderful neighbors in the Canadian great white north, the Azores, Portugal, Germany, a magical month in Australia and Tasmania, and 2 weeks in Ireland. I know we don’t have majestic mountains, but Michigan’s outdoor experience with nature areas and 4 of the 5 Great Lakes is second to none; so while I’m biding my time with the Covid dangers, it has pushed me to explore locally.

The image I attached was taken at Pittsfield Township Nature Preserve, capturing the rising sun and fall colors. I shoot with Canon gear; this was using the EOS R camera and EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens: 21mm, ¹⁄₆₄₀ sec at f/8.0, ISO 200. I do plan to participate in the critique forums. Thanks!

Hi Terrance! Welcome to NPN! I’m looking forward to your posts

1 Like

Welcome Terrance! Looking forward to seeing your unique take on Michigan, I love seeing areas that are less photographed :+1:t2: I hope to see you post some images in the critique category, this is where all the action is!

Welcome to NPN, Terrance. So glad you decided to become a part of this great community, and looking forward to more of your images as well as your critiques.

Thanks David - after living here for 25 years I finally have the time to get out and explore the state. Looking forward to it myself!

1 Like

Thanks Shirley - I do jump back and forth between landscape and some macro so I’ll be sure to check out that area too.

1 Like

Glad to see another Great Lakes area member, although I am miffed you haven’t visited New Hampshire. Kidding. But really. You should go. I’ve only been in Wisconsin for 5 1/2 years - I’m a NH native and miss my mountains and ocean. But I’m not complaining. Cheers!!

Thanks Kristen. I’ve traveled a bit through Northern Wisconsin and it’s beautiful country - but those mosquitoes in the summer can drain you dry! In 2019 I did a drive to MN and looped back through WI and northern MI on my way home - it was a great trip. If it wasn’t for the covid lockdowns I might have made it to NH this past year on our way to explore Nova Scotia. Hopefully in the coming year or so. In the meantime the Great Lakes inland seas will have to do as a substitute for the ocean. I did check out your website and love your images. Take care.