Hitting the beach

In January Elephant seals congregate on many Pacific coast beaches, but most famously in Big Sur, California. This is part of the beach as seen from the overlook near San Simeon, if I recall. The scene is mildly chaotic, but mostly relaxed since the males have formed their harems by this time and the real fights are over. By this time, too, the pregnant females have given birth. They will guard and protect their babies from the masses of bodies, nursing them with some of the richest milk on earth. And it needs to be, these babies only stay with mom for a month before they are left on the beach to go it alone. When they’re weaned their mothers mate and return to the sea with the males and the juveniles. It’s a bit overwhelming to see them in such numbers, but it’s really wonderful, too.

Specific Feedback Requested

Ideas for processing welcome. Not sure when I’ll get back to Big Sur, but I will.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for a bit of wb adjustment and a nice S-curve. Some dehaze applied over the ocean with a linear gradient. Horizon leveled and some sharpening & nr.

2 Likes

At first glance, I thought the seal were rocks. They are well camouflaged. The image does a great job of showing the life of the seals. I especially like the gulls lined up like sentinels along the shoreline. Really picky thought…I might remove the car and fence from the UL. I suppose you could say it adds context, but I find it a little distracting. Great capture and wonderful detail in this image.

What a sight to be able to witness, Kris! I’m with @Chris_Baird, I too thought the seals were rocks. Did you crop at all? Any chance a 4x5 crop would help eliminate the cars? Just a thought. Great shot and nicely seen.

I have to say that I thought the same thing as @Chris_Baird too! This image works on many levels, first the Trompe-l’œil creates a sense of wonder, then the colors of the seals and beach, the texture which looks almost like velvet. And what @linda_mellor suggested about a 4x5 crop to eliminate the upper left corner/cars could elevate this even more.

Thanks @linda_mellor, @Chris_Baird & @Pamela_Sherlock - I played with cropping until I couldn’t see straight! I did one without the cars and fence, but didn’t really like it as much despite their absence. I reduced some saturation of the colors there, but maybe it should go.

It really is quite a sight though and I will go back someday. Once I went out on the beach with the seals. This was well before digital so I should see what I got back then. This beach is one that you can’t get to readily. They mass and just take over and it’s magnificent.

1 Like

This is a great wildlife landscape scene, Kristen! That’s a lot of Elephant Seals and and a very nice beachscape combined. A great opportunity for you and I appreciate your story/explanation to provide context. We see a similar thing up here in Alaska with the Stellar Sea Lions except the beaches are rock cliffs instead of sand!

Here is a possible crop option. I cropped the left side to just past the furthest right vehicle and then cloned the hardware out. I also cropped slightly on the bottom for balance. See what you think:

1 Like