Homage to a Fallen Tree

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. It was the contrast between the tiny flowers scattered around the gnarly, weathered branch that caught my eye. As my title suggests, I am aiming to pay tribute to the fallen tree from which that branch came. An elegy, if you will. Does that come across?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single frame, a7r3, f/8, 1/400s, ISO 400.

4 Likes

Bonnie, this is a winner in my book. Very expressive and full of characters. The dried log provides structure to the image and the peppering of flowers around it is simply marvelous as it adds “softness” to the image and also colors (and color contrast) to it. I also enjoy the textures in this image, from the grass, the rock, and the branch.

It’s hard to find something to improve here but I think I would try cloning out the stray blades of grass that go over the fallen tree; mainly thinking about the three blades near the LRC of the image.

Hi Bonnie - This is a wonderful intimate scene. I find your composition very well balanced.

Wow, just WOW. I love this, Bonnie. This is definitely my idea of a perfect landscape image. I cannot find any nits here; perfectly composed and processed in my book. Superb!

1 Like

Thank you, @Adhika_Lie, @Eva_McDermott, and @Bill_Chambers. I’m glad you like this and find it expressive.

Adhika, I think the grass you’re seeing are pine needles. I rather liked the way they draped over/under the branch, and I’m fond of leaving in little “imperfections” if they aren’t too distracting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful, expressive composition.

Hi Bonnie,

Really nice job on this image! Your title comes through perfectly in the photograph. I like the contrast and the balance in the image. The tree forms a triangle in the lower right of the image while the flowers are located in the space in the upper left–mainly. And you chose to not place the lines of the tree in any of the corners, which I think is a good choice here. I like the use of literal contrast and metaphorical contrast here. Color v mono, large v small, old v new, a current life honoring a past life. Great job!

A beautiful image, very well seen. I like the lines in the crooked dead wood, the scattered needles and the soft color of the flowers. The angles and the crop, everything works for me in this scene.

A real beauty, Bonnie. The muted browns and off white of the wood is so beautifully set off by the delicate purple flowers. I’m glad you didn’t push the contrast or colour too much. Honestly, I wouldn’t clone out anything. Wabi sabi - transience and imperfection. The composition is so nicely balanced and composed. Well done.

Eliot Porter would have loved this one Bonny. The color palette is muted, but very unusual and interesting at the same time. I love the way you used each of the four corners in the composition, each corner is very different, but together they create a nice sense of balance.

Belated thanks to @DJLeland, @dusty, @Han_Schutten, and @Kerry_Gordon. Wow, thanks @Ed_McGuirk, I’ll take the comparison to Eliot Porter!