Honey Bee for Breakfast

As I was following a Monarch on the asters last fall, I spotted a praying mantis. Suddenly, she turned and spiked a honey bee.
Should I straighten it out; even though the file becomes smaller.

APC camera with 100-400 lens at 400
1/200 sec f5.6 ISO 200

1 Like

Anita, first I would like to say welcome to NPN. I hope you find this site to be everything you hoped it to be. I know that I have sure enjoyed being a part of it.

Second, what a wonderful first image to post here! I would not try to straighten the image. In fact, I love everything about this image. Those beautiful flowers, the bud right in front of the mantis, and the action, I just don’t see how it can get much better than this. I am looking forward to seeing many more of your images, and reading your critiques as well. Great shot, wonderful colors, and interesting action.

Welcome Anita! This is a wonderful capture with the bee wings about to be consumed by the mantis. The surrounding flowers help to give the image a sense of place without being overly distracting IMO. Realistic, pleasing colors. I wouldn’t worry about straightening. Well done.

Anita: Welcome to NPN in general and to macro in particular. This is a terrific post. Since there really isn’t any horizon reference I don’t see any need to straighten anything. One thing that’s a small point but one that makes this capture even better is that you were able to get the full length of the mantis antennae in the frame and the expression on the mantis as it dines. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more. >=))>

That is quite a photo Anita and amazing you caught him with a bee. Welcome to the NPN and looking forward to more great photos

Anita, welcome to NPN and to Macro. This is a great catch as presented, with some fine color in the Asters and getting all of the antennae. Because so many insects apparently don’t care about up, down or sideways, there no reason to worry about “straight”. The details in the Mantis’s head and it’s food look great.