Hosta decay

Hosta decay with edit

Original

We grow a lot of Hostas under trees in our garden and they are often hit by hailstorms. This hastens their decay but provides some interesting and photogenic scenes.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are very welcolme.

Technical Details

1/30s, f8. ISO 200
M4/3 20mm (20mm f1.7)
LR, PS, cropping, tonal and some colour saturation adjustments, layer duplication (multiply).

1 Like

Great colors and patterns here, Phil. Like it a lot. I think the image also work in landscape, see below.

You did a great job with the lighting to bring out the colors and patterns in this photo.

Agree that the lighting works really well to reveal and conceal creating some tension and mystery in what is an ordinary scene. That said, I think itā€™s overall a tiny bit flat and you could try playing with a couple of things - mid tones in the yellows. I bet raising those would add some punch and give our eyes a bit more to play with. Iā€™d also clone away the bright C shape toward the center of the image. Itā€™s an eye magnet. But Iā€™d also see if I could add some local contrast (clarity or texture) in that leading curled edge up there. On the whole I prefer it in a horizontal presentation. Certainly a beauty worth revisiting.

Wonderful image, Phil. I have to say that @Ola_Jovallā€™s rotation also works wonderfully.

Thankyou for your kind comments and suggestions @Ola_Jovall, @David_Starr, @David_Bostock and @Kris_Smith.

Yes, the landscape version that Ola suggested is certainly an improvement. Thanks Ola.

Kristen, I have struggled recently with brightness and contrast issues between my LR and PS adjustments and then the result that I see on the NPN website. This image and also the recent Clematis image ended up looking much dimmer than I saw in my processing. I have now recalibrated my monitor brightness from 120 to 100 so I hope that improves things. I had used 120 because it seemed to match the printing I do (on an Epson P800).

I originally left the ā€˜bright C shapeā€™ as you note (a hole in the leaf from hail) in, rather than cloning it out, as I thought that it formed part of the story and was partly the reason that I photographed that particulr leaf. However, I agree with your view that it may be best removed. Thanks for your helpful suggestions with this one.
Iā€™ve posted an edited version at the top.
Cheers.

1 Like

This is a really beautiful image,Phil! Iā€™ve never really liked hostas as Iā€™ve always thought they were a very boring kind of ground covering. But you capturing them upclose with all the varieties of colors in itā€™s lifespan really brings out itā€™s beauty! The black background really sets it off too. Well done!

Oh bravo! Nicely done for sure. I think youā€™ve gotten the best from this plant and your monitors.

Hi Phil,

I like this a lot. The lighting really brought out the depth and the contrasting colors with the gradients are very appealing to me.
When I viewed this small it didnā€™t seem to have much impact, but when I viewed it large, that changed for me.
Iā€™m not sure which version I like the best, can I like them all equally?
I like the black BG, too! :slight_smile:

Both are fantastic!! I do love the tonal tweaks!

Thanks for you comment. I agree, most of the time they do appear as though they are just a boring sort of ground cover. BUTā€¦when they start to die off, the leaves are just wonderful with wide tonal and colour ranges, and various changes in shape. Cheers.

Thanks Kristen. I value your feedback on this and other various photos I have posted since joining recently. In the last wee while I havenā€™t had much time to spend on PP, however I expect that to change next year. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments @Diane_Miller and @Merv.
Yes the ā€˜tweaksā€™ certainly did make a big improvement. As for the black background Merv, what other type of background is there :grin:. I guess itā€™s a Johnny Cash thing. Cheers.

1 Like

Lol :smiley:
He did love his black clothes and his song ā€œMan in Blackā€ told the story behind it (at least in part).
I used to listen to his songs a lot.
Dang, now Iā€™ll be humming Johnny Cash songs for the next couple of days :slight_smile: