Ice Deer

The cold and snow from the center of the US finally got to Maryland. I needed crampons to safely walk the 30 feet from my door to my pond, where I noticed this “creature” in the ice. Having a few spots showing some birefringent color was cake on the icing… A 9 shot stack for top to bottom sharpness, 7D2, 180 mm macro, 1/50 s, f/16, iso 400, tripod and polarizer.

1 Like

Mark This is an unbelievably beautiful abstract image. My eye follows the sharp highlighted edges of the ice as it moves from the bottom left up to the swell in the middle and then off to the right. Not sure what creature it is but i see a ducks head. The birefringent color is beautiful but to me it takes away from the simple beauty of the white on black. Amazing image.

Oh my gosh, Mark. The clarity you have achieved is envious. You and @Diane_Miller are the masters at this technique. Also love the tiny hint of color hidden here and there, sort of as a tease. Very nicely seen and executed. Glad you made it safely out and back.

Mark: Your eye for your ice images is off the charts wonderful. Well seen and superbly captured and presented. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Another excellent ice abstract. I love the patterns and tones. The bits of color are a pop to contrast with the B&W look of the rest of the image.

What I love about this one Mark, is the sense of motion it conveys. It almost looks like you froze splashing water with fast shutter speed; otherworldly in a way. Glad you strapped the crampons on!

I see deer season is in full swing, it may only be a two pointer, but its a good one !!

I love your use of deep blacks here, it really makes the face and eye of the deer stand out. I would suggest darkening the dark tones in the ULC and URC, to make them more similar in luminosity to the dark tones in the bottom of the image.

Mark, you have captured another wonderful ice image. Really nice shapes and lines in this. Glad you wore your crampons. I fell on black ice 6 years ago this month and shattered my wrist. Walking on ice can be dangerous, especially for those of us who aren’t as coordinated as others. :grinning:

Anyway, this is an excellent image. Love the colors that you picked up in it too.

1 Like