Ice @ Wrightsville Reservoir

Another of the images I made one day at a local park, a reservoir where the water level had dropped a foot during subzero weather, leaving sheets of unbelievable ice patterns. The several hours I spent there were like going to church!

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any and all

Technical Details

Sony6000, 1/100, f/13.50mm, ISO740 with adjustments to tone curves and sharpening in LR

6 Likes

Unbelievable patterns, indeed. The wavy lines and tonal contrast are fascinating. Sounds like you were in “the zone,” a wonderful place to be.

Hi John! Those are very impressive. I like the church analogy. I wish ice like this existed year round. It’s so fleeting. Maybe that’s part of what makes it interesting to capture. For me finding it is always like finding photography gold.

Those structures are really beautiful. I love stuff like that.
I’m not surprised you were able to spend hours there.

Sometimes I would like to know what people walking by think when I photograph frozen puddles. :rofl:

@j

We know, right?! “That guy must be crazy…” and then they come over with their camera and tripod to look. Thanks all for taking the time to share my enjoyment of this image.

1 Like

You are welcome!

Thank you for sharing the image with us.

Wonderful photo, John! I’m most drawn to the lines, shapes, and contrast in the upper half of the image. If it was my photo, I’d play around with cropping a bit.

So cool, all the tight lines and patterns. I bet time flew by as you imaged these.

What an amazing image, the patterns and greyscale are fantastic. The horizontal lines and bands are great but I especially like that there are also some more vertical lines intersecting the horizontal ones. You have made a great work regarding the tones in the image.

I can fully understand that you enjoyed a lot your visit at this place!