In The Light

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Sorry for being absent for a while…Identity thieves gained access to a family member’s computer and unfortunately there was all sorts of sensitive and private information. So we’ve been dealing with all the fun of locking credit and identity down…

Anyway, this is a Non-Nature ICM, so I’m posting it here rather than Nature Abstracts.

It’s different I know, but I kinda like it.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I was taking a walk in the neighborhood between rain and hail storms. I was looking for tree and flower ICM opps when I saw this scene. I’m not going to describe it here but will post another image that shows what this was.

Oh, and the title is from a Led Zeppelin song…

Specific Feedback

This is pretty heavily processed, so I am looking for any kind of initial response…good, bad, sucks, whatever.

Here’s a clearer view of the scene. A path along an apartment complex with a white rail fence on the left.

Wow! The original is lovely and, well, ORIGINAL! A perfect abstract with no clues. The shapes and light pull me in and keep me there! I love the shaft of light coming from the opening. It strikes me as some sort of walkway, and I want to go down that path! I think that impression is from the more defined ending of the columns on the left, that give the impression of solid ground. I like that that impression is much less strong on the right side, which holds my interest. Wonderful tonalities!

The FG feels sci-fi and the BG medieval!

Sympathies about the computer break-in. Way too many bad viruses everywhere.

Diane, thank you for the kind comments. I truly appreciate them.

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

I’m amazed that you managed to get this from an apartment building and fence!

I don’t think I have the talent for creating images like this. I’ve never really tried it but it seems there is an art to it that’s well beyond technical knowledge.

It’s pretty cool to see this kind of result from typical everyday elements using ICM!

Well, it doesn’t suck and it’s not whatever! That’s for sure!

It is more along the lines of really cool!! :slight_smile:

I don’t have any insights on this type of image but I can admire it as a typical viewer! :slight_smile:
Knowing what the actual scene was makes me appreciate it even more.

Well done, David! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about the identity theft situation with your family. Now THAT sucks!
Makes me want to do another level of identity protection through Norton. :thinking:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind comments, Merv. I very much appreciate them.

ICM is much more experimentation that hopefully results in a few artistic images. More often I come back with 100 images and keep only a couple. It is quite fun though.

1 Like

@David_Bostock , my immediate response is to want to walk down that sumptuous path! The long smooth columns on either side look velvety. They are very appealing.
If this were monochrome green I’d say this is the way to the Emerald Palace in Oz!

Dang! That’s it! :smiley:
I knew I had seen this before and it was bugging me.

Thanks, Mark!

@Mark_Muller thank you for the kind comments.

@Mark_Muller and @Merv you both are too funny. I guess I should have titled it “We’re Off To See The Wizard” :grin:

Maybe you could adjust the color temperature and tint to get an Emerald Green? :sunglasses:

Now where is Toto? :dog2: Flying monkeys? :monkey: Oh “Goodness” :angel:

I wonder how much thought went into the famous line by Dorothy: “If we walk far enough, we shall sometime come to someplace”. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I really love this. I wanted to comment because I have seen this done before in a city with a train going through. It was a composite and the train was in focus and not part of the ICM. It was pretty cool looking. Thought I would mention it because you might try some more of these with some added elements?