Inseparable Coastal Oak and Poison Oak

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 6M Mark II, Canon EF-M 18-150

@ 22 mm, f 11 @ 1/100 sec, ISO 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

To my eye, this is all about the tree lines and light green leaves. I would be inclined to crop out the sky and desaturate the poison oak a bit, leaving the strong trunks and contrasting leaves. My take, anyway. I really like it.

I agree with @Harley_Goldman that the sky is not helping here. It is so bright that it pulls my eye away from the interesting shapes and colors below. The radial pattern of the tree branches creates some very graphic shapes, and I would suggest using a squarish composition to emphasis the shapes of the branches. When you have overcast light like this, including the bald sky almost never looks good. You are better off taking advantage of the soft light to emphasize colors and textures of more intimate landscapes. Here is a rework with a suggested alternate crop.

I’m with Harley here. All about the green trees and the entwined branches. In this case, as there is so little orange foreground I think it becomes a distraction from the main subject. I these sort of images i think you have to completely isolate the green trees and branches for a more abstract shot or include the ground for some context.

AGain, I agree with Harley that the sky should be exlcuded here. Especially as the highlights appear to be blown out. It may just be me but the shot also appears to lean about 30 degrees to the right.

Cheers,
Eugene

Thank you for your input! Cropped the top and de-saturated greens.

I agree with the comments about the sky. The rework looks better. I would also

1. raise the blacks a bit
  2. crop out the yellow grasses at the bottom left and right
  3. add a color cast to the image (optional)

I agree with @Harley_Goldman, @Ed_McGuirk, and @Eugene_Theron’s comments. I would not desaturate the greens, rather desaturate the orange in the foreground. It might be cropped out, but then you might lose too much tree trunk. I hope this helps as I know you already have an overload of suggestions here.

Cropped the bottom and colorized

1 Like

Amazing, Sveta. This is exactly what I had in mind, even that cast of color.

That last update is great, Lana. It’s really transformed your original post. Nice job.

I like your last repost Lana. It really makes the tree trunks stand out.

Thank you all! Really appreciate your insight!