Into the Straights of Juan de Fuca

Any help that you can give regarding composition is welcome? I want to create a sense of observing an almost endless landscape. I considered removing the ship closest to the sun but decided against it. I want to draw the viewer into the distance.

I shot the original image with my Z7 at 70mm. ISO 160. F7.1. This is cropped.

(@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Instagram username: fritschbill

Bill,

This is an interesting pano crop. What I find intriguing is your treatment of the sky, it has a very graphic look. I also agree with your choice to leave in the second ship.

It’s nice to see you posting here again.

Well thank you Alan. I am glad you like it. And I will try to post some more very soon.

I will look for your work as well.

Bill

I think you were successful on the endless part. The long panoramic creates the felling of an endless sea. You were also fortunate that the clouds extended across the entire length of the frame, this reinforces the “endless” feeling as well. This images makes great use of a number of horizontal lines in the scene.

Regarding your choice to leave in both ships. I think it could work either with just one ship, or with both. If you cloned away the center ship. I think you have a stronger and more direct relationship between the sun and the spotlit ship on the left. If you left in the center ship, you do get more of a direct leading line from left to right, while if you took it out the line from the spotlit ship to the sun is more of an implied line. I think both ways can work.

If you decide to leave the center ship in the scene, I would dodge the area around it. The spotlit ship on the left is so bright that it overwhelms the darker ship in the center. some dodging of the center would help to create more balance.

No matter what, I would burn down the bright white foam in the lower right corner, it is so bright it draws the viewers eyes away from the sun and ships. Bright elements near frame edges and corners usually end up creating distractions.

Thank you Ed. Great suggestions.