Introduce yourself to the NPN community!

Thanks Ed,

I saw you were on as well. I will be posting soon. Heading to Glacier and Waterton Wednesday for a workshop. Hopefully colors are decent and crowds are minimal. Snow is a possibility as well. Good stuff!

Take care,

Alan

Hello everyone! My name is Wade Thorson, and I am excited to be part of this community. I am currently recovering from a corporate job, having left it six months ago. I had my fill after twenty five years in a cubicle filing warranty and insurance claim paperwork, all the while living for the weekend to make landscape images. I am now a travel and landscape photographer based out of Flagstaff, Arizona. My father owned a camera store downtown in the 80s, so I was lucky enough to have a camera in my hand ever since. Although I do event and architectural photography to pay the bills, I prefer making Fine Art Landscapes to please the soul.

I have been lurking at NPN for years, and the new changes inspired me to finally join. It is really nice to see so many active members, with such quality work. It sets it apart from many of the other photography outlets.

My website is Alpine Imaging
Facebook Alpine Imaging - Wade Thorson Photography

I hope to see you around!

Wade

9 Likes

Hi team ,

Iā€™m Sam Ison and Iā€™m from Sydney, Australia. Iā€™ve only recently figured out what a camera is and how to use it, so have not previously been a member of NPN, though have heard plenty of good things about it from its heyday.

Iā€™ve been actively looking for a while for a place to grow my photography mind, gain real image critique (aside from ā€˜sweet banger broā€™) and engage with other photographers constructively, given my inability to feed the social media beast on a regular basis through my own infrequent shooting, processing and posting. Suffice to say Iā€™m glad NPN has been rebooted!

I love shooting seascapes and this has been my bread and butter for a couple of years (given Sydney is one of the best cities to live in to shoot the ocean), however more and more Iā€™m wishing for new subjects such as alpine areas and mountains, which we have very little of here in Oz. I work in communications and have a wife who is politician, which leaves photography as my outlet to keep me sane.

Anyway, you can view some of my images over on my Instagram (while I build my website). Iā€™m not sure why I keep them up - I hate most of my work within a couple of months of it being posted. https://www.instagram.com/sam.ison.photos/

Iā€™m looking forward to contributing and itā€™s great to have seen some familiar names already!

Sam

7 Likes

Hello everyone, my journey with photography and NPN started almost simultaneously. I was looking for a group where I could see and learn about photography and the constructive criticism that I get here was an added bonus. Started with animals, then birds and now a few macro subject. My key intention is to use the strength of images to promote optimism towards conservation through various means of social media. There are environmental issues to be solved but but most of the time people are unaware of it or as my favourite quote says in the Disney movie Tommorrowland ā€œDonā€™t resign yourself to a future without hope, because itā€™s the one decision that doesnā€™t require anything of you TODAYā€, so approach towards it might make a change. Hope is still there and my journey with nishandphotoark.com is proving right on that path. Glad to meet to you all. Thank you

4 Likes

I can ditto what Nishand Venugopal said in that my journey with photography and NPN started almost simultaneously. In 2010 I was in my back yard with my cell phone and a dragonfly landed and stayed on my finger. I took a picture of it with my cell phone. When I looked at the picture on my computer and saw that face! that face! that you just donā€™t know is there unless you are looking at a closeup image I couldnā€™t believe it, and I wanted more. I bought a camera with kit lenses and looked online for help with photography. I found NPN and emailed Jim asking him if really truly complete novices were allowed, and he said yes. So I joined NPN and found so much help.

At this point I have several other opportunities for sharing images (none of which are the attaboy-type sites but neither are they critique sites), and I have not been active on NPN for quite a while, though I have kept my membership up to date. One site I participate in has blind voting by photographers or would-be photographers on images, and I have found that immensely helpful in getting the sense that I have been looking for for so long about how good or not good or how appealing or not appealing my images are. But I have the NPN icon on my phone now, and I have the NPN site opening when I start Firefox, so eventually I will figure out where NPN fits in at this point in my life for me.

Thanks to Jim for making NPN a place where people can learn and to David for giving it a new lease on life.

7 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Jose Torres and I am from Florida. Tampa to be exact. My day job is as a Surgical Technologist. I am fortunate to have a very good schedule (two 16 hour shifts). That in turn allows me to have a lot of time to pursue this passion of mine. I started my photography path about three years ago. I have pretty much been trying to learn everything I can get my hands on and I realize that I have a very long way to go. Thats why I am excited to finally find a community to share my photos and get some real critique. I hope to learn a lot from all the great photographers that gather here!

5 Likes

Hello All, I had a 94 post and 700 or so, comment career on the old npn site after joining in 2008, where I learned many useful things about photography from the fantastic community that lived there. Good to see some familiar names here on the new site and hopefully many new ones in the future.
I live in Australia and am mostly interested in landscape and wildlife photography. Iā€™m definitely an amatuer photographer and really appreciate the opportunity this site gives me to share and discuss images with amatuer and professional photographers alike.
My photographic output generally, and therefore my posting and comments on npn have dwindled a bit in the last year or two, so Iā€™m hoping to redress this situation in the coming months.
Looking forward to looking at all your work and hopefully contributing some as well.
Cheers, Neale

5 Likes

Hello Everyone! It is tough to remember when I first joined NPN, but I think it must have been in 2009 or so. It is great to be back and to see the new site filled with so many familiar faces. I donā€™t do photography full time, but it seems I am heading in that direction.

In some ways, I suppose I have been swimming upstream for a while now. During an era when a lot of people were switching from film to digital, I switched from digital to film ā€” and have been shooting exclusively with large format 8x10 film since 2010. There is something very rewarding about working with a mature technology, and knowing that the quality of a photo I shot 10 years ago will be the same as one shot 10 years from now.

You can view my work on my website and also be sure to check out my Youtube Channel where I have been documenting my solo landscape photography trips since 2009.

15 Likes

@Ben_Horne Itā€™s great to see you here, Ben. I always enjoyed your work, and itā€™s great to see youā€™re still doing large format.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
-p

2 Likes

Hey guys, unlike many of you NPN is a recent discovery for me. I had heard it lurked in the dark recesses of the web and glad to see its been brought back online.

Iā€™m Eugene, Iā€™m a landscape photographer living in North Wales, UK. I spend most of my time wandering around the mountains in Snowdonia and other part of this island, especially Scotland. Photography is currently a part time business for me that I am in the process of growing and do this alongside a full time day job (for now).

I grew up in southern Africa before moving to Europe and have a healthy appetite for travel, the outdoors, climbing, mountains, etc. I try to capture this in my photography but also am a sucker for intimate and soft landscapes. Every so often I will also shoot some form of mountain sport and wildlife.

This site, in my opinion, is a bit of a revelation in the nature photography world. Itā€™s great to see a ā€˜professionalā€™ place where we can connect, critique, share images, ideas and a bit of banter. This seems to have been lacking, especially here in Europe.

Iā€™m really looking forward to connecting with you guys and engaging in a positive environment

By all means check out my Instagram and Facebook accounts. Iā€™ll also be re-launching my website soon.

7 Likes

Hey everyone! I discovered NPN a month or so ago thanks to a few fellow photographers posting about its revival, but I was unsure of whether I would join. Alas, here I am and I am interested to see what comes of it.

I am Cody Schultz, a black and white fine art photographer living in Pennsylvania, USA. Currently I am working on my bachelorā€™s degree for marketing and am trying to make it as a full-time photographer, as I am sure most others on here are as well. In 2017, I chose to work exclusively in black and white as both a challenge and a way to differentiate myself from others in the genre. Nowadays, I am working on going all film, having kicked off this new journey with a Pentax 67 and a large number of film rolls.

Anyway, Iā€™m looking forward to connecting with you guys and engaging in a positive environment we all can enjoy.

Oh, and feel free to view my work on my website or Instagram. Much appreciated!

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I recently discovered NPN via an instagram post from @Matt_Payne. (Thank you!)

My name is David Nilsen and I am from New Jersey, but recently relocated to Fresno, California at the beginning of the summer. I have worked as a part time photographer shooting for surf camps/tours for the past few years but unfortunately it wasnā€™t paying the bills. The past two years Iā€™ve been working as a Commercial/Housing Inspector and photography has been pushed to a serious hobby.

I am somewhat new to landscape photography as I have primarily spent my time shooting surfing and empty waves. In the past I have tried to make it up to the North East once a year to catch peak foliage in the fall. Now that I live in California I try to split my time between the beach and the mountains.
If you wish to see some of my work you can check my website or more recent work on my instagram .

I look forward to joining the community and connecting with everyone as well as growing as a photographer.

8 Likes

Hello. My name is Piet Opperman. I was a member some years ago, but then reality interfered for a while.

I was born a long time ago, far, far away in a small village in Africa. I grew up appreciating the beauty and diversity of man and nature. My grandfather was a professional portrait photographer, and so I had access to equipment and, of course, his expertise to guide me. I started seriously taking photographs when I was 16 and it has remained a serious (sometimes paying) hobby for me all my life. Since those early days I have traveled the world and been amazed by many things.

Today I live in Sarasota, Florida, a place as close to paradise as you will find anywhere, with my lovely wife Jenna and our five dogs. My website is here, with links to my gallery and writing. And stuff.

I like to find the hidden and sometimes surreal image hidden inside the photograph. I enjoy manipulating photographs, sometimes just by using an unusual format, like panoramas, and sometimes by bending them all out of shape. I sometimes introduce unexpected elements into a photograph, like a steel ball, or sometimes more complicated shapes that donā€™t seem to belong but somehow do.

I donā€™t take things too seriously.

8 Likes

Hello - new to the community. A big thanks to Sarah Marino for exposing me to the network. Slightly advanced beginning photographerā€¦avid naturalist and lover of nature. I am active duty Coast Guard stationed in DC living in Alexandria, Virginia. I love taking the small intimate subjects but will shoot anything to better learn.

I hope to be exposed to a smaller yet more advanced niche of photographers that have an affinity for the natural world and a love for being a photographer. Thank you!

6 Likes

Welcome aboard Stephen. We have family in Coast Guard and itā€™s one fine service. Thanks for being there! Looking forward to your work and insights.

Hey David, welcome to NPN and thanks for the mention! I think you will really like this platform, especially for good feedback on your images. Donā€™t be shy!

2 Likes

Hello! After hearing about this group from the F-Stop podcast I had to join! I, Kyle, live in Tualatin, Oregon. I moved out to the PNW from Iowa a few years ago and am enjoying the change in scenery! Photography is my way of communicating emotion, drama, and vision. It all started with my travels to beautiful places around the states and the world. Today, I am focusing on developing my skills with photographing smaller scenes in the forests and wherever else I can take my camera. I am excited to be a part of this community of talented and interesting nature photographers and to see what everyone is creating.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard Kyle, glad you came to the site! I look forward to seeing your work in the forums. I used to live in Portand myself and miss seeing some of those scenes!

Welcome back Ben! I love your film work and look forward to seeing more.

Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to this site, and decided to give it a try, especially after learning more about it on Matt Payneā€™s podcast.

I have not always been a photographer. What started out as something I thought my son and I could do together, has turned into the biggest passion of my life!

While photography is meant to be fun, I do take it very seriously, hence why Iā€™m here. :slight_smile:

I have been shooting for roughly 7 years. I started out taking the usual pics of flowers or anything I saw that I thought was interesting. Then, that transitioned into shooting portraits, for family and friends, when people learned I had a camera. But, it wasnā€™t until I went on an 8 day trip throughout Utah, and Arizona, that I fell in love with Landscape photography, and it has been my passion ever since!

I am very excited to be here, and really look forward to continuing to grow and learn from everyone here!

7 Likes