Is this real, is it just fantasy?

May 30, 2022 was a weird and stormy day in MN. This is an in camera one shot pano. It’s real.

Specific Feedback Requested

I had a ton of dust spots and some weird artifacts that I tried to clone out. I’m sure I missed some. Also, do the power lines detract or anchor the photo in the world? Also, the LLC has some trees…do I remove them? I don’t really like object removal, (it’s a personal preference, not a global disapproval) and cropping doesn’t seem to be an option.
Thanks!

Technical Details

Fuji X-T30, 85mm, f16, 1/500, iso 320

2 Likes

Pam,

Wow, this is just one wild and crazy sky! No doubt this one will be forever remembered.

Guess I’m not familiar with the camera or pano features… so this isn’t a crop from a full image, but likely a series of frames all done in camera? That’s neither here nor there, I’m just not up on the new cameras!

Very dramatic capture. The cold, steely tones are very effective here. Maybe even more than if this went all the way to B&W.

As far as the power lines. It’s a close, tough call. I do think that you’ve included enough of them, and even the diminishing series, that they do ground the image and provide some scale, but also a sense of place. And even more than that… storms, electrical storms, lightning (although yours doesn’t have any) - and the presence of the power grid - makes for a great story.

The trees? I’m indifferent actually. The way they’re situated, under the last power lines I think actually works - even though really they’re only a sliver.

I understand and respect your conviction on removing something from your image. I’ll just toss this out there. You could have zoomed in 2mm, stood on top of a box or aimed a little higher and “eliminated” them from an image captured in your camera. It didn’t mean the trees didn’t exist, you just chose to exclude them while you were photographing the scene. There are clear lines to draw very often when it comes to removal (or addition) of elements in our photographs. We each get to draw that line.

Excellent entry in to this week’s challenge!

Lon

1 Like

Pamela, this is a very dramatic sky panorama with nice wave action in the clouds and that single cloud on the right with it’s vertical towers. This would be better without the power lines/towers but I agree with you about that being too much cloning. Clearly no escape from reality…

1 Like

I really like this, Pamela. Even though my first thought was to get rid of the power lines I actually think they add to it for scale and I like the leading lines. Great capture!

1 Like

Thanks Lon,
This day brought many storms and a few tornadoes to MN. I have lots of images to remember it by. Fujifilm’s in-camera pano is a neat trick, but it’s really really narrow. I am looking into getting a better tripod head in order to do more traditional merged panos, but that means I have to improve my editing skills!

I totally understand what you mean by selectively editing during composition. There really wasn’t a lot of time (this time) as everything was moving pretty fast. I’m really enjoying this site and look forward to learning so much.

Thanks again,
Pamela

1 Like

Thanks Vanessa, I’ve gone back and forth over this.

1 Like

Thank you for your input! It’s a conundrum for sure.