It Exist

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Out looking for something different. Not Nature Photography but i wanted to post this to show something I photographed…

Specific Feedback

I tried to keep all the white, grays and blacks in the photo…

Technical Details

ISO 200 shutter 100 and F18 or 20 cloudy day

1 Like

Gill, this is very cool, almost abstract. I think it works quite well as a B&W. I might try to reduce the highlights in the sky, they look a little blown out. That can easily be fixed especially in B&W. I might also think about flipping it horizontally so that it’s leaning out to the right. It might flow a bit better that way.

So, I am guessing this is some sort of sculpture artwork. Where was this taken?

Cheers,
David

I took it in Charlotte NC. I thought of flipping it but this is the angle I saw it. I took lots of pictures and this one interest me the most. I left the sky alone having whites and grays and darker grays and black. Correct me if I’m wrong but there is the seven zones. I try to use that idea.
Thanks so showing interest of the sculpture. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

I tried to change the original photo by cloning some spots. My cloning technigue could be better but i tried to make it as natural as possible…Always learning !!!

I went and edited some on your suggestion. But tried to keep it natural. I do like the photograph either way.
Thanks. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

Hi Gill, I like the look of the sky in the new one. It’s no longer pulling my eye away from the statue. I also like both versions.

Regards,
David

Thanks. Are you aware of the 7 zones. That’s something I’m learning more about.

Hi Gill, I am aware of Ansel Adam’s 11 Zone model, but not of the 7 Zones…a simplified version of Ansel’s model?

Ansel’s zone model was really useful for B&W imagery in the film days. Not as much necessary in today’s digital world. One point to consider is that even though the B&W world is divided into 11 (or 7?) zones, it’s not necessary that all zones be represented in all images…

Anyway, if you could send me a link on the 7 zone model, I’d love to get a look at it.

Cheers,
David

I stand corrected. There are 11 in zone photography. Not sure where I read 7 but Ive been aware of a scale that was being used. It’s something I think about in black and white photography. When I look at some of Edward Weston work , I really see all the shades and light values.

Thanks for the correction. I’m always learning. Not afraid of making a mistake or good discussion with good photographers who are willing to help and try to improve a photo idea.
Peace to you and thanks again
:pray::earth_americas::pray::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

I have no idea what I’m looking at, but the second version with the toned down sky is mesmerizing. Like silk parachutes blowing in the wind. All that sinuous shape and energy. I love it even though I don’t know what it is. Keep bringing it!

Hi Gill,

I have come to use a 5 zone method which is more inline with digital B&W.
It’s basically:
zone 1 = pure black
zone 2 = shadows
zone 3 = mid tones
zone 4 = highlights
zone 5 = pure white

Link to video showing the zones (ultimately broken down into the 5 zones listed above):

Using Zones for Black and White Photography: Exploring Photography with Mark Wallace:

It made sense to me how this guy explains his approach and he shows a few examples of editing and shooting.

Something to think about, it works for me.

BTW, your second image here resonates with me. I like it! :slight_smile:

Mervin talks of 5 zones in digital photography. Really interesting topic. I think I read of 7 zones and now it’s brought to my attention of 11 zones. I don’t think none of these as wrong. Maybe different photographers using different scales. Very cool.

Hi. This is a Sculpture I saw at a park in Charlotte NC. I shot lots of frames trying to capture the sky and the sculpture in a way that it question the eye. I presented it with natural sky and corrected sky that took a few white spots out. In all honest I like both ideas. The Network really helps in suggestions and new fresh ideas.
Thanks to everyone for showing interest. :pray::earth_americas::pray::camera_flash::camera_flash: