July storm

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Quick short from our front yard when quick storm rolled through. Sony RX100M5; 1/80th; 7.1; ISO80; I think sunset setting and added contrast.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Jim, this is indeed, quite the storm, with a fine mix of cloud layers and colors in the sky.

Hey @Jim_Gavin.

Amazing moment, those oranges are intense. I like the layers of those clouds, mainly those ones on the left, they almost look like fire.
So i hope you dont mind, i made some ajustments to show my personal preferences.

1- Changed the aspect racio, i think it center the atention more on the transition clouds.
2- Dodge and burned the could a bit to add contrast
3- Removed the white distracting spots on the bottom.

Of course this is just my personal tast and opinion.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

That’s one gaudy looking sunset, Jim. I love what it did to the storm clouds.

That’s quite a spectacular, fiery sunset, Jim! I can see why you went vertical with all that overhead lighting but I think I would have shot a couple more frames on either side of this one and stitched them together to make a super wide angle view.

I can hear the tornado sirens going off when I view this image, this looks to be totally insane sunset weather. In moments like this all you can do is pray for an interesting foreground, and fire away. Your processing of color and saturation does a good job of conveying what had to be intense conditions. I think the 3:2 vertical works well here, those crazy looking clouds at the top are what I like most about this image. I also like the suggestion by @Gary_Minish, a stitch of several verticals into a horizontal would have been another interesting treatment of this scene.