Just a little more green.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another in early spring Palouse shots.

Specific Feedback

How about the road in upper portion? Is it problematic? If this were submitted as an abstract would it qualify with/without the green?

Technical Details

canon 7DMKII; 100/400 @ 176; 8.0; spot; cloudy; 640 ISO; handheld

I really like the rich variation of those browns Jim.

I actually didn’t notice the road until you mentioned it; it doesn’t bother me at all.

I’m not sure how abstracts are qualified, so I can’t answer that one. However, I would say it has a more abstract effect on me without the green. It does make a nice “skyline” though.

I’m going to guess it wasn’t an option, but the bottom swale feels a tad cutoff to me.

Jim another fine Palouse image. One of my favorite places and Steptoe is awesome to shoot from.

It’s always hard to determine what to shoot, how to frame, and where to cut/crop since it’s such a continuous rolling hills area. This works for me though. And the road doesn’t bother me at all.

Well done.

Wonderful soft colors and shapes! I love it as presented but I think it would be even more wonderful if you coned out the road. I’d hate to crop and lose that nearer ridge on the right – the one nearer than the road.

Like @John_Williams , I didn’t even notice the road until you said something about it. No big deal a all. I think this would make a fine abstract if you softened everything, reduced contrast, negative dehaze, reduced sharpening, etc. until you have just swirls without all of the obvious farm tracks. It could even be a high key image. I think the green takes away some of the abstractness of the image because you know what the green is. Without the green, I think you’d have a harder time trying to figure this one out particularly if you significantly reduced the contrast. I love Palouse and this is a fine image from there.

The earthtones are quite lovely as are the graceful undulating hills of the Palouse, Jim. If this were mine I would clone out the road; just my opinion of course as this is lovely as is. IMO this would qualify as an abstract with the browns.

Jim,

Love the muted colors/tones - very fitting for the conditions you were out it. I very much like the top as it provides some semblence of context, as well as depth. The top is also one of those situations where you’ve included “just enough” to let the viewer know you intended to include that. Any less and the top would be a candidate to crop out. But it’s working quite nicely as presented. No nits or suggestions.

Lon

@Lon_Overacker Thank you.