Just an other summer day.

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

For me the butterfly or moth helps this lazy summer morning photograph in Rocky Neck State Park.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

In the late summer and early fall, I could fine this Blue standing in this general spot every time I when I went to Rocky Neck State Park. The Shot was taken in August 21, 2021 at 10AM and has been setting in a folder until I could find an appropriate way to post it.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 100-500mm & 1.4ext, f10, 700mm, 1/2000, -.3EV and 5/4 50% crop. I adjusted highlights, saturation atoned down the tall green grass, inDXO Photo L ab 6.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic, Conceptual and Emotional feedback. Does the framing work.

1 Like

Hello, That’s great to have captured the insect as well! (Though I would find the story more compelling if the bird was looking towards the insect). This is a very sharp photo and I like that the DOF includes the grass in front of the bird…that’s a bit different. I found the brown grass in front and the dark green stalk behind the beak distracting. You must have been using a fast shutter speed to be read for action and you got it!

Nice sharp look at the heron in a pleasant environment, added to by the presence of the insect.

I like this image emphasizing the habitat of the heron and the dragonfly is an interesting element that must be investigated. Nice that that the black dragonfly contrasts so sharply from the grasses.

This has a very summery and peaceful feeling to it, Peter. The insect does add a lot to the image and combined with the vivid greens conveys a real sense of summer, while the Heron adds a nice focal point for the image.

Hi Robena, Allen B., Allen S. & Dennis
Thank you for your comment, Each time I came to the park, it was visiting an old friend.
Here is a re-post with a stab at the comment of Robena.
Peter