Juvenile Downy Woodpecker

This is far from a stellar image, but I thought the behavior was very interesting. I’ve never seen a Downy come in for a drink before. As seems to be the case with most species, the young lead the way to new things.

Specific Feedback Requested

That darn out of focus stub sticking in front of the Downy? I had fill flash going for this series and it lit that thing up way too well. I did lots of burning on it and discovered an interesting phenomenon. With the flash, even though the stub was out of focus, the edges were sharp. I ended up using a 50% opacity clone brush to mellow out the transitions.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A1, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 658 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/400, iso 1250, fill flash at -2 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5392x4192. Taken at 1:23 PM on August 2nd.

1 Like

Such a sweet image, Dennis! The out of focus thing in the front doesn’t bother me. I would maybe crop it just a little to get a closer look at the woodpecker and get rid of some of the mossy rock as it seems to be taking a little more attention than needed. But I think it’s a wonderful behavior photo! So cute!

Cute image with the woodpecker looking at you; it seems to show the curiosity of the young.
P.S. Congrats on your new camera.

Absolutely cool. The juvenile Downy’s that I have seen in my area come near the water but I have not seen one take a bath. Good behavior!

Hi Dennis
The Downy Woodpecker is cute, I think the framing should cropped into close-up on the Downy and loose the out of focus stub.
Peter

“Holding on” is what comes to mind here. Well seen ! Cheers, Hans