Juvenile Peregrine

I was at the Sonoma coast last week trying for some luck with this year’s single juvenile, but there was very little flight action. The parents are trying to wean the kid, and he doesn’t like the idea. He flew a couple of times but basically out of view and the coastal fog was much heavier than forecast so I would have had to push the ISO way too high. I was happy to get a chance when he parked in a nearby cypress for a while.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome! The color looks too brown but I was unable to improve it.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 1000. f/14 (wide open), 1/800, ISO 6400, tripod. Cropped from a horizontal to about 45% of the full frame. Minor slider tweaks in LR, starting from the TK linear profile (thank you, @TonyKuyper!) Topaz DeNoise did its usual amazing job.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the color, Diane but, wow! What a pose! And an awesome perch, too. Good detail in the bird. This was worth the trip!

Superb detail, Diane, and the pose and perch are excellent. While a flight shot would have been nice, this is a beautiful image.

Diane,

I like this one a lot. The light brown edges on the feathers show up well and the largest view has some excellent details present. The pale blue sky and browns are a wonderful combo. You could try bumping up the midtone contrast a touch, but I am very happy with what I see here…Jim

1 Like

Diane, this is very nice. Wonderful details in the feathers, and I just love how he gave you the head turn.

Superb job on this. Excellent color, detail, pose, and head turn.

Agree with all previous comments. A beautiful shot.

I Diane
You keep pulling off the magic of photographing bird at 1000mm and have them look great. Is it a great camera and lens or great skills, I vote on the later. Nice work.
Peter

Thanks everyone!! It was worth the trip.