Juvenile RB Nuthatches

I had some decent light this morning before 9 AM and I was fortunate to have the juvenile Red Breasted Nuthatches hanging out around my feeders. Some are being fed by their mother but most of the time they have already learned how to manage the feeders in two different locations. The juveniles looked pretty goofy. But they are very close to the same size as their mother.

What technical feedback would you like if any? The second one with the two juveniles was the only one of several that I was able to shoot where both were in focus. They were pretty close for a 500 lens with an extender. I did some major cloning to get rid of a very bright out of focus tree branch in the background of this one. Hopefully I will have more opportunities where they are in better positions on the perches.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: first two were taken with Nikon D 500, iso-500, 500 mm PF +1.4 extender, F8, 1000th, no flash all handheld. Third image was taken with A7r4, iso-800, 100-400 at 400 no extender, F7 .1, 1250th, handheld, no flash. None of the images are full frame. No added sharpening or clarity slider use.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Hi David
Nice photographing of the family. Both cameras look good and the cloning in the second is clean. Nice work
Peter

I like number three the best, David. the first two are cute but the perches seem too large and are tending to go out of focus too much for my taste. The head turn and nearly parallel perch work really well in number three. Hopefully, they’ll keep coming in good light.

That’s pretty awesome to have these juvies in your backyard. I’ve never seen one before. I love their juvenile attitudes. I think I agree with Dennis. Comp-wise, I like the third one best. IQ and light are very good on all, and I always like your mossy perches. But the perches do tend to dominate in the first two. On the third one, my only two critiques are that I wish the beak didnt intersect with the limb, and the bird were a bit more to the right. On the second, I can see some cloning artifacts around the top bird’s tail. Looking forward to more!

Yes I don’t like the perch either but that’s where they decided to land and I figured I’d better try and get some shots before they disappear. Yes on the beak on the third image; once again no control over that. One thing I’ve seen with the juvenile nuthatches is that once they land on the perch they like, they stick around and don’t move very much. They like to watch what’s going on around them without moving their heads unless mama is there feeding them.