Kissing Cousins

Our potted Gazanias are blooming like crazy. Besides being pretty in their own right they’re also fascinating to watch through the day. In the evening as the light fades they close up and then in the morning they reopen as the light gets stronger. This pair opened at different paces thus the size difference which ended up being pretty close to the same at full flowering. The pollen dusting was too heavy to clone away so I just left it alone. All comments welcome. >=))>

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Another of my budding stacking efforts. Unvarnished criticism encouraged.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Minolta 100mmm macro
ISO 400, 1/80 @ f8, 8 image stack

1 Like

Hi Bill, I love the composition and the sharpness from the focus stack. I also like how soft the background is too. Nice work on strategic stacking. The light looks wonderful too. All around an excellent image.

A gorgeous image, Bill. No thoughts for changes. Just enjoying the fine work here… :sunglasses:

Gorgeous, with wonderful composition and colors!! Stacking gave this a stunning look, and the pollen is a great touch – makes it look hyperreal! I love the subdued BG.

Oh these are so pretty together, Bill. Glad they’re coming along well and you get to have spring now. It’s snowing here so …

Anyway, my only thing is the tiny triangle of green between the petals on the bottom edge. I’d crop that out. I like that you’ve kept the colors subdued - they’re so rich already they could easy become garish, but not here. Seeing this photo on my new Macbook Pro screen is a joy to behold. So crisp and detailed. Really lovely. The stack looks good and the bg is nicely OOF to support the two stars.

Bill, I sure hope that you and Chrissie have some wall space left to hang this image!!! Just gorgeous. I love the complimentary colors of the two flowers as well as the difference in size/age. Very nice! :+1: :+1:

Bill, these are absolutely gorgeous! The light is perfect and the colors compliment each other nicely. The focus stacked images against that nice, soft background makes the flowers jump off the screen. I don’t mind the pollen dust and the small triangle at the bottom doesn’t bother me.

Beautiful capture Bill. The composition and colors are wonderful. The stack paid off here as well.