Krummholz Flow

What technical feedback would you like if any? None

What artistic feedback would you like if any? None

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

This is a well-known bristlecone pine on an icy June morning. I wish the composition would have worked with me being lower to show the frozen wildflowers but I love the way the tree flows with the clouds in this frame. I might have been able to pull it off with a long lens or perspective blend but I don’t remember if the terrain would work for that kind of shot. This edit is from 2014 and a bit oversaturated in the blue channel, especially in the top left corner.

Sony a7R, Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8 A-mount with E-adapter.
Single image, 24mm, ISO100, f/14, 1/6s

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I agree with your self-critique about the saturation. Also, do I see a “cat” waiting below the tree?

1 Like

Jason, that’s a wonderful tree you’ve gotten! It’s hard to me to judge color balance on my tablet. I might only suggest a couple of things that tug at my eye. I would burn down the distant s-curve in the roadway some. Also, it might take a little work but I think I’d clone out that bit of cloud just above the top right branches, as it tends to disrupt the geometry of that fabulous tree. I really love the wide open space and atmosphere.

Jason, the shape of the tree, the snowy tundra and the amount of open space tell a great story. I especially like where you’ve placed the leaning tree and how that works with the slope of the ridge. I agree with you about too much blue, I notice it in the snow, but that’s an easy fix. I too like the “cat” watching the sunrise.

@Adhika_Lie That stump certainly does look like it right? If my dog had been older at the time I would have had her pose next to it.

@Bill_Leggett Thanks, Bill! I like the road showing up just because it gives the image something else of interest for those who are looking, but I can definitely see how it might distract others. I’m not big on removing elements from an image but good suggestion on the cloud. I did a rudimentary clone in Lightroom CC because I don’t have the original with me at the moment but it still looks better.

@Mark_Seaver Thanks! Yeah, it’s just an easy reduction of overall saturation, reduction of blue saturation, a gradient saturation reduction in the upper left, and some small brush work.

Jason, I have a similar reluctance to do much cloning, usually only minor bits of debris and such. I do think removing that tiny portion of cloud works well, only because it just felt awkward.

1 Like

Jason: I like the scene and your rendering of it. The repost is a nice fine tuning. My question regards the comp with the tree pointing out of the frame so to speak. It would feel more natural if it was on the left of the frame but not sure what that POV would have looked like with the clouds. In any event a nice find and capture.>=))>