Lake Aleeda Spring

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I see this area of the lake edge in every season, and in fact this scene. It always looks different to me however so I capture the area every year. I am attracted to the layers and verticals juxtaposed to the lower layers, color a bonus (spring blueberry bushes)

Specific Feedback

Wondering about the upper 1/8. Should this be cropped out? More contrast?

Technical Details

300mm f/11 1/6 sec iso 100

2 Likes

I gave it a crack so we could take a look. I do think it makes it a stronger image if the gaps in the sky are not present, but it isn’t a deal breaker.

I did also crop a small amount from the bottom to remove the dark shadow area at the edge of the frame. You could do this by cloning or warping as well if you were so inclined. I think it is a lovely scene and one worth visiting over and over as you’ve suggested! I bet those bushes and trees would look great in the early fall when the blueberry bushes turn bright red (if I’m remembering correctly).

1 Like

I like the original and I think that the top is fine with the sky showing through. I also don’t really mind the bottom as is but I am enjoying what @David_Wallace did with his crop. You may be able to clone the black out along the bottom instead of cropping so the image has more of a footprint to stand on but either works.
I like the layers you’ve presented here. I can see why you took this image. The colors are subtle and natural looking to my eye and you have soft light to work with.

Mario, I think that this is a very attractive image with so many fantastic details and a beautiful natural colour palette. I love all of the layers but I’m in the same camp as David Wallace and I agree with his crop suggestions.

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely @David_Haynes @David_Wallace for your feedback. I think I prefer the uncroppped version but like removal of the black undercut on the lake.

I like this image, but for me the green FG is just a tad too bright, and it draws me off the frame… I’m not even sure you need it.

Thanks for the comments @Matt_Payne . To me the green is another layer but maybe decreasing luminescence would be the way to go.