Last light over Palouse Falls

I hope Palouse Falls is well enough known to be an icon. This is an image from around 2 years ago, in autumn. At the time anyway I hadn’t seen that that many images with this particular framing, and what I really liked about this moment was the rim of light on the basalt cliffs above the falls, with a more subdued sky above. I’d probably take a more nuanced processing approach today.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the comp work, having the bright lighting above the falls? Mainly interested in thoughts on the processing: too much?, too little? My goal even initially was to have a somewhat quieter image from this place.

Technical Details

Nikon D7200, 18mm, 1/4s at f/11
processed in Lightroom

1 Like

Jack, this is definitely an icon in the PNW. So sure it works for the challenge. I’ve been to the Palouse many times over the years, but never made it to Palouse Falls…just didn’t have enough time to include it in the itinerary.

Your image is very, very cool. I like the clouds and the color on the cliff edge. Wonderful scene. I do think you could increase the contrast on the lower half. It feels a little hazy. Maybe that was the way it was that day.

Anyway, awesome image, Jack.

Thanks David, and I think you’re right about the lower part needing a boost. I’d definitely recommend stopping here when you get a chance. Totally different feel to it than the gorge.

1 Like

I agree with David that it is iconic…and gorgeous. I do find the pull of my eyes between the falls and the cliff to be a bit too much. Perhaps boosting the falls or even bringing down the cliff lighting? Not sure but would encourage you to play with it as the perspective and lighting is worth it. I’ve only ever been through there once and over it a number of times—not enough!

1 Like

Lovely photo and comp Jack. I like how the rim of light seems to funnel down through the cliffs and leads my eye to the waterfall and the dark water below.

I agree with @JohnSnell that the falls could be brightened or the cliffs taken down a bit.

I think cropping into the scene to remove some of the top sky and right side of the scene might help to focus the attention on the rim of light and the falls.

1 Like

Hi Jack! Beautiful photo of this PNW icon! Great light and comp. I agree with others about increasing the contrast between the falls and cliff, but I really like it as is. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks John, that’s what I was getting at. Great ideas to harmonize this a bit more. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks Maxime, I’ll play with the crop some more and work on the lighting. Appreciate your input!

1 Like

Thanks Steve. Still a work in progress, and I appreciate your kind words!