Late Bloomers

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G @ 360mm
ISO 400, 1/80 @ f11
Some of our Day Lilies are long dormant but this variety will often bloom multiple times in the summer. Spotted this one in the dappled light under one of our trees. I enjoy light like this but also appreciate the more even kind shown in the second image. Any preference on your part? All comments welcome. >=))>

ISO 400, 1/30 @ f11, taken just a few seconds after version 1.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Wow, Bill, these are nice. I love the angle in which you shot them. I am pulled between the two, but I think maybe the second one is winning out, and that may be the background seems to be less distracting to me, but also like how the light seems to be shining through the flower better in it as well. I really like the stamen in both images, with such details, and compositionally placed well in the image. :+1::+1:

For some reason I like the lighting on the first image as it gives more dof to the flower. Both are excellent, but just different. Beautiful flower!

They are both lovely. The light in the second one wins. It looks like it is lit from within. The colors are fully saturated. I like the diagonal lines and the curving petals. Personally, I would have removed the white stamen (?) as it draws my eye because it is so light. But that’s just me. Your flower is beautiful.

Beautiful colors and comp. I like the second one better because the background doesn’t compete as much. It seems as though there’s not as much contrast in the flower as well. And that inner glow just tops it off.