Layers of Light and Oaks

Just captured this yesterday and thought it might fit the WC. Haven’t posted in the challenge for a bit, so why not jump in.

Wouldn’t know it from this image, but we were out yesterday in the hills around Livermore looking for some snow to play in with my Grandson. Yup, we’ve had snow in them thar hills this past week., down to about 1200ft elevation. If you look along the top edge of this image left of center you can see a little white - that’s snow! I left it in just for reference… :wink:

On our way back from the snow the light was dancing in and out of the clouds and I stopped several times to grab some shots. I didn’t grab the tripod and so these are all handheld with my second camera, D7100 and 16-85. For a few fleeting moments there was traces of tiny snow flakes in the air and we even had some light hail no too long before this image was taken.

Putting this out there for fun.

Lon

D7100 Nikon 16-35mm @34mm(51) f/7.1 1/1250 iso 800 handheld, so basic layers in PS, burning, hue/sat, etc.

Lon, looks like a perfect fit for the WC this week here. Although most of the trees (oaks?) look to be in winter garb, the rolling hills and valley areas are benefiting big time from the high precipitation rate so far this year. I’ll bet this area will have a wonderful springtime look later this year. Might be worth a follow up same TOD take on this site at that point…:sunglasses:

Curious as to what the small patch of checker-boarding is in the LLH middle ground there. Maybe a wild cannabis thatch ready for harvesting…:partying_face:

The series of green glowing ridges looks great, Lon. The two trees in the foreground set the stage well and the dark hillside at the back makes a fine finishing touch, setting off the glowing ridges beautifully.

Quintessential California winter scene. Lovely.

As an aside, do you ever have “issues” with that vibrant green? I know a couple folks that cannot abide the bright green of spring grass (in photos) and will desaturate it or otherwise knock the color back. While in some instances it can detract from the main subject, here it is the star of the show.

Hi @Paul_Breitkreuz, yeah the oaks haven’t started budding quite yet. It is a much different contrast once the oaks start leafing out. As far as the checkerboard patter, I’m quite certain it’s an orchard of some sort, perhaps in disrepair with clumps of grass growing up around whatever might have been the primary plant.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley for your comment.I struggle with this as well. I do know that the RAW file is no where near this vibrant - and most would say, as would I, that the greens in the field are also more vibrant than the RAW capture. The question and challenge is what is real and accurate? And that’s as subjective as any of us saying it was that vibrant - or wanting it to be. In looking at what I posted, I think it’s too saturated. I did knock down the yellow sat by 6 pts and did some selective desaturating painting in the hottest spots.

This is the same conundrum that photogs face up there in the gorges of Oregon with all those vibrant mosses and greens. Is it real, or is it Memorex…

Lon

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker, I wasn’t critiquing your color choice - just wondering what your thoughts were on the subject. It’s surely a matter of personal taste. :slightly_smiling_face: And I didn’t think your greens were overdone - looks real to me.

No worries @Bonnie_Lampley, I didn’t take it as a criticism at all. Most certainly a valid topic to touch on. And in my own processing, my goal is push things where appropriate and try to keep it believable. There may be a fine line there…

1 Like

Hi Lon,

A very nice scene and it has an ideal natural glow with the shades of green. The hills add some patterns to the BG…Jim

A delightful portrait of California’s oak country. Very nicely composed, especially with those well placed layers. The bare trees have never looked better.

Gorgeous light, Lon, and I like the more subtle nature of the layering in this image. I’ve still got about 5 acre-feet of snow you’re welcome to: you-haul.

Lovely California spring image, perhaps taken near Del Valle. Gotta love those green rolling hills and bare oaks.