Lighthouse at Sunrise

A frustrating morning! The road to the lighthouse is 7 miles long with a speed limit of 35 mph. I was running about 15 minutes late, and the entire time I was driving the clouds had a GORGEOUS pink hue to them as the sun was rising, but by the time I made it to the lighthouse, the pink was gone! Still, it was a beautiful morning, but if I had only been 15 minutes earlier!

Four shot focus stack, stacked by hand. I first tried using Helicon but it just didn’t do a good job at all. It was the first time I’ve been disappointed with Helicon.

I tried a 16:9 crop first but I liked the full frame better as I thought it gave additional depth to the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments, suggestions, and critiques appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fuji GFX50S w/32-64 @ 48mm
1/15 @ f/18, 100 ISO
Tripod, no filters

@simplynatureart

4 Likes

This is gorgeous Bill. I am thinking a 50/50 split panoramic may take this to the next level.

Bill you have a great shot here. I really like the leading lines of the grasses heading to the lighthouse. I think a 16-9 crop would look good too.

Bill,
You may have missed those pink clouds you wanted so badly, but this still turned out pretty darn nice. I can see the case for making this a pano, but I think I agree with you about keeping it full frame as it does add depth to the scene. No suggestions from me as this looks like a wonderful morning.

Quite striking! You did great even if you didn’t get the light you wanted.

Gorgeous image. You did get the pinks but the blue more than makes up for that. The blue and those clouds make this image for me.

Bill, anytime I look at this beutiful image I soon run to hide with a sheet of paper the area of the image behind the first tree after the lighthouse. The whole image is nice but the first part of it collects all the best things included in this photo that is more dynamic too for its strong line. Of course I love all the image but shortened it seems to me simpler and stronger in the structure . Bill it is only my personal impression.

The light and colors here are wonderful, which makes the image for me. In looking at the small image, I wondered why you composed this to include so much negative space in the water (thus the suggestions for a pano crop). But when I opened the large image on my desktop monitor, the subtle ripples and texture in the water won me over to the way you composed this. The ripples help pull my eye through the negative space to all the goodness above. Well done Bill.

Yes, it probably would have been a killer image with pink clouds, but this ain’t half bad either. I really like the composition and the clouds still look fantastic. However, the highlights in some of them look a bit atextural. A linear camera profile could potentially reveal a lot more potential in these areas.

1 Like

Thhanks @Eva_McDermott , @David_Bostock , @Ed_Lowe , @Kris_Smith , @Igor_Doncov , @Giuseppe_Guadagno , @Ed_McGuirk , @Tony_Kuyper for your comments and suggestions! Sorry for my late reply; I posted this and then went out of town!