Lilium superbum (Turk's-cap lily)

Description:

This is a common summer lily in the eastern US. The “Turk’s-cap” refers to the strongly recumbent petals. This plant was growing along the bank of the Youghiogheny River in the Allegheny Mountains. The plant is over two meters tall and required holding the lightbox taped to a stick. Duct tape is an essential part of what I carry in the field.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon 850, background a lightbox with flash, two front lights attached to the front of the lens, 100mm, f22.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Really beautiful work, Paul! Beautiful group of flowers!

Hi Paul,

The high key composition is very nice. The bud at the top of the frame has something sticking out that seems to be blurry. I would edit it out before printing as it caught my eye. This will make a beautiful print. Well done…Jim

0ther than what Jim pointed out (I think it might be a cloning artifact), I can’t think of anything to change. The arrangement of the flowers was as separated as I think you could make them and bravo for getting all of them on a plant so large. The colors really pop.

Thank you @Jim_Zablotny @Vanessa_Hill @Kris_Smith . I could say that the little blurry dot is a very rare insect the only is found along the Yough River and there are only 3 know to still be living - but I won’t. Yes, it’s a clone artifact. I got lazy.

The plant is interesting in that I know the location very because I check the rock ledge annually for a colony of rare plants. Over nearly 20 years I never saw this lily at the ledge. Then it was there and growing very well. The next year, during the blooming season I checked again and it was gone.

I’ve encountered orchid species that bloom one year and they remain dormant for several years, but never a lily.

It always reminds me to “strike when the lily is is bloom”.

3 Likes