Logging camp, colourized

I spotted this next to the highway around sunset on a long drive home. There is a lot of logging where I live, and while I’m not against it (I do live in a wood house, after all), recent cuts are reminiscent of WW1 No Man’s Land.

I shot it hand-held in minimal light, which made the foreground a little grainy. I liked the look in B&W, but the trailer didn’t stand out as much as I wanted, so I used a mask to keep it its original colour. It really needs a bird flying above the remaining trees, but you can’t have everything.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m curious what people think of the use of some colour on a B&W. I’ve seen it elsewhere, and it sometimes adds to an image, but can also look contrived.

Technical Details

30mm lens on an APSC camera (so effectively 50mm)
ISO 2000, f1.4 @ 1/100 seconds
Shot at sunset
Converted to B&W in LRc, with mask on trailer to retain colour (full B&W version below)

A nice scene, and I understand your mixed emotions w.r.t. the logging… The area appears plundered, submitted.
I best like your version with the colored trailer and I like the faint color of it. Maybe I’d prefer a standpoint with a little less of the vehicle at the LLC.

1 Like

Hey Warren, this one slipped past me for some reason. It’s a very cool scene as you say reminiscent of war zones…I like the colorized version but the all B&W speaks to my B&W tastes. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks for the positive comments. I do rather like this one. :slightly_smiling_face: