Lone Tree, Slioch

It was a windy afternoon in the Scottish Highlands (not unusual!), and I was trying to capture Slioch (a well known and apparently much photographed mountain in the Highlands) in an original, non-post cardy way. I was struck by the lone small tree hanging on in the wind, juxtaposed against the mountain, and I liked the cloud-cover on Slioch. I waited a while for the changing afternoon light to highlight the tree, and I tried to amplify this a bit in post.

Specific Feedback Requested

General feedback welcome! Does the image work? Is the tree evident enough? Thoughts on composition – how could I improve it? Any comments on post-processing? Thanks David.

Technical Details

1/70 second at f/11; ISO 100; 100mm lens on GFX 100s; processed mostly in LR

1 Like

Jim

How’s it going! Hope you are doing well.

The image works for me. I like the multiple layers here, the nice dappled light is fitting for the scene. My eye flows through the scene without getting caught up anywhere and with the layers that you have, there’s this zig zag movement through the scene that I’m really enjoying.

In terms of the post processing, it looks good. I’m not sure if you need that darker/shaded layer on the bottom of the frame. I feel like it’s not needed here, but that maybe more personal preference. I would like to see a little more mid tone contrast and the highlights pushed a little more in the landscape so I can feel more of that dappled light. I know there’s room there, you just have to finesse that some…again, just in the landscape and not the sky. I think that bump in mid tone contrast and in the highlights will make the lone tree pop a little more as well. Nice work on this one Jim.

Rough and dirty edit with the crop of the bottom, mid tone contrast added with bumping up the highlights, and some cloning on the bottom of the frame.

0953e4856899206289c22f5f776faef5d2ac6d54_2_666x500-1

DT

David — Many thanks for your comments, and for taking the time to do this. Very helpful! Definitely like your rough edit … zig zag is more pronounced and effective with the crop on the bottom, and boost in midtone contrast and highlights is helpful. Much appreciated. Wishing you a happy holiday season. Jim

Hi Jim. Welcome to NPN. I know you’ll get a lot out of this community. @David_Thompson has provided great input. I will just say I enjoy the image. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and contributions here.

1 Like