Look Into My Eyes w/ repost

Repost:

Original post:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another image from last Thursday evening. This was at a marshy field about an hour before sunset very close to Padilla Bay. There were several photographers shooting the various raptors looking for their dinner. Since this Short-eared Owl was staring at me, I knew I disturbed it so I took a quick shot and left.

Specific Feedback

I love the eyes. I think the light and BG work OK but would like your opinion. Does the crop work? It’s about 15% of the original image. I thought it looks sharp so I did not sharpen the photo more. Is it sharp enough? I still feel like a beginner with Avian photos, so I would appreciate any feedback.

Technical Details

Gear and settings:
Nikon D850, ISO 1600, Sigma 150-600 at 600mm, f6.3, 1/2000 sec. handheld

Post processing:
I started with DxO PureRaw 3, then changed the profile to Tony Kuyper’s linear profile for the D850. Minor exposure processing for the entire image, and a radial mask to brighten and add saturation to each eye.

2 Likes

Those eyes are very captivating!
I was going to suggest a crop but then saw you already did quite significantly! Seems like you used the best bits here. I’d be pretty happy with this one in my portfolio as a landscape guy.

Thanks @Matt_Payne! This is one of my favorite avian photos so far.

1 Like

Hi Steve, I like the composition of this image even with the bird close to center the image balances with the branches on the right and the negative space on the left. I like that the two branches are not cut off at top adding to the open feel to the image. Given the crop, the bird appears sharp but I think I can still see the affects of the large crop at the largest image size.
Another composition option would be to crop some from the right and take out the lower right branches but that is just a thought. A fine frame as is.
And yes those eyes are terrific.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks! I tried your suggestions and slightly cropped from the right and remove the cluster of small branches in the LRC. I also used Topaz Sharpen AI. Does that help the affects of the large crop? I have added the repost at the top.

I like this composition as posted, Steve. I had thought about taking some off the right to decenter the bird a bit more, but that would make the empty space on the left too prominent for a balanced composition. the only other option I could see is to go with a vertical composition, but that would really be pushing the limits of your image quality. I could see sharpening the bird a bit, but when I sit back to look at it instead of pixel peeping, it’s just fine.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank! I was adding a repost as you typed your comments, but then I deleted it when I saw a bunch of artifacts. I’ll have to try again. The crop was very slight. Removing the branches in the LRC may have caused the artifacts, though it may also have been the sharpening.

I added the repost back. The artifacts came from sharpening, so I used a subject mask and sharpened just the bird. @Dennis_Plank, do you think the slight crop made the empty space too prominent?

The repost works nicely, Steve. I like both versions, though I’ll admit the repost fits the classical bird photograph genre a bit better. the extra vegetation in the original kind of appealed to me. I do notice in the repost that you missed on tiny twig sticking into the bottom where you removed stuff.

Thanks for catching that! I just replaced the repost (again).

I’m envious of any owl shot and this one is excellent. Love those eyes. Nice pose. I like the repost; both shots convey the same environment, but the repost looks better without the extraneous branches in the LRC.

P.S. Regarding your comment in Dianne’s post, Bullock’s Orioles should be present in Washington as it is here in Oregon, but in my experience sightings are rare. I want to hear about her Oriole feeder!

@Allen_Brooks , thanks for the comments! Thanks also for the info on the Oriole! I’ll watch for that as well.

@Steve_Kennedy and @Allen_Brooks. We do get Bullock’s Orioles in Washington, bu they’re pretty uncommon on thie wet side of the mountains. I think there’s supposed to be some near Vancouver Lake, if I recall correctly. Check ebird for sightings. If there are many in an area, their hanging nests are usually easier to find than the birds.

Lovely natural setting for this owl. Actually thinking about it a bit, I decided I can live with the original post, as the branches are not too distracting to me and so I’d leave them in. Very pleasant image. Cheers, Hans

Thanks Hans! I appreciate the comment!

This is great, Steve!

I like the cropped version better (simply personal preference), the main reason is that the owl is larger in the frame.
Secondary benefit of the crop is less branches to look at, leaving just the owl, the perch and the general environment to enjoy.
I like how those branches provide a natural frame for the owl.
I also like the ghostly branches in the BG, it’s just enough to let you know they are there but ghosted enough to not become attention grabbers.
Third benefit is the owl is in a more pleasing position in the frame, it’s just aesthetically more pleasing and balanced feeling to me.

Well done and certainly one to be very proud of! :slight_smile:

Thanks Merv! It feels like I’m learning, at least a little about this avian business. Who said old dogs can’t learn new tricks?