Mallard duckling + repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The mallard ducklings have started to hatch out at our neighborhood lake. The ones I found yesterday were really tiny - must have been newly hatched.

Specific Feedback

I cloned some out of focus vegetation in the original. Anything look off in the water?
Anything else come to mind?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm DO f4 IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/1000s

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop

Very cute. Nicely composed. I like the pose/expression with the open bill. Water looks fine.

What a cute little Quacker! :slight_smile:

It all looks great to me, Allen! No distractions. All my attention is on the duckling.

The dribbling water stream coming from it’s partially open beak is a bonus!

Very sweet photo! Great angle, detail, colours and dribble action. To be very very picky, there is a brownish spot in the water above the birds head that stands out a bit. Also, the ring of ripple is cut off on the right hand side…it would be satisfying to see that complete ripple. (Hope that makes sense).

Very enjoyable to see…I better get out and see if anything has hatched around me yet.

Wonderful, Allen. The low angle and that eye contact really make a huge impact (aside from the cuteness factor). I just noticed Robena’s comment about the brown spot and now I can’t unsee it. The cut off ripple doesn’t bother me, though I could go with a slightly looser composition overall if there’s not too much junk on the edges to fix. The water looks good to me.

Beyond sweet, with the photography skills such a wonderful subject needs! I did notice the spot first thing, and would remove it if it were mine. I like the framing but would not be able to resist cloning out the bright part of the ripple at the right edge.

There is some repetition strangeness at the top – was that from cloning debris? A little more cloning, maybe at 50% opacity, would break up the patterns.

what is not to love about this adorable little duckling, Allen. Great shot!

This is just way too cute, Allen. You really nailed the details in him, and I just love the water running down from his beak. Precious.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
@Robena.Sirett @Diane_Miller , here is a repost after seeing your comments…

1 Like

Much better on top!! But the highlights in the ripples on the right border??

@Diane_Miller , I see those - don’t bother me as they are repeated throughout til you get to the duckling. I could expand the space there on the right but feel okay with it right now.

2 Likes

Hi Allen
What a lovely way to spend a day. Great low angle and eye contact. nice work.
Peter