Mammoth Layers/Weekly Challenge

Mammoth Hot Springs from 6 years ago

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition, white balance, LLC line?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/2000, 50mm, D4, ISO 400 (woops, I was new to Landscape and had my camera set for wildlife), F/8, 24-120mm f/4, hand held

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

David, This is an excellent image with nice diagonal lines. I think it’s interesting that the hot springs appear to be dry. White balance looks OK to me. I think it’s a matter of your vision as to how warm you want the yellow rocks to be. No nits from me.

David, this is a fine take on Mound terrace that shows off it’s fine, colorful terraces well. You should see how much it’s grown since you took this. It covers much of the foreground area these days. The colors, where the hot water is flowing look great and contrast well with the dry areas where hot water flowed at some time in the past.

Hi David, I have a similar image from Yellowstone NP so immediately recognized this one for what it was. Like your composition here, with the golden/yellow staircase arranged from upper right to lower left. Those colors are set off nicely by the gray rocks in the background. This is a fine depiction of nature’s layers.

David: I haven’t worked the Mammoth area of Yellowstone as much as I’d like and this makes me want to go back. Wonderful textures and colors and a fine comp. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Great shot and perfect for the challenge, David! I love the color contrast in this and the stepped deposits are fascinating. The composition with the gray rock in the top left and bottom right really sets off the colors and the diagonal line of the deposits works perfectly. Nicely done!

I wonder what a geologist would say. It is amazing to me how different the colors are! Definitely a good amount of layers! Cool image!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks Very much Mark. Sorry for the late response. Still trying to figure out how to navigate everything on the site.