Masai Mara Migration

Taken in 2018 on a husky mid afternoon on the banks of the Mara - exploring in black and white

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Waiting in anticipation of this unbelievable event , words cant describe how this actually takes place. Thousands of these wildebeest wait for 1 of them to take the plunge in pursuit of greener pastures on the other side of the Mara river

Technical Details

nothing special

3 Likes

It must be an amazing event indeed! And this images is a great testimony of it.
The b/w gives it a dramatic feeling that suits the scene, it reminds me of Sebastião Salgado Genesis work.
Aesthetically I think the framing and composition is great, that diagonal line of wildebeest creates a dinamic path for my eyes.
The images sure feels the story here. You can really see the determination on these animals to plunge and go ahead.

Nothing that I would change in here.
Great photography.
Cheers

This is a very artistic and dramatic image. I love the sweeping motion of the Wildebeests on the right. I think the black and white is perfect for this as it adds to the drama of their lives. The lighting and composition is great and you’ve made it feel like we. are there. Wonderful work, Karl!

I agree that this is a very expressive and beautiful image, with the splashing of water and swirling of dust creating great atmosphere. My eye is drawn - in the end - to the small beest calmly drinking while all around him are losing their heads! It’s a fascinating sub-plot. In fact it could almost be the main subject, but I’m not sure how you could emphasize it here.

Nice choice of tones for the black and white rendition. The curved lines (both animals and cross-cutting shoreline) work well, and it’s nice how the lighter splash tones help draw the eye. Mike had a nice point about the calm loner too.

Thank you @Mike_Friel , @João_Ferrão , @Max_Waugh , @Vanessa_Hill

1 Like

I really like the tones resulting from the dust flying and the curve of Wildebeest moving down the frame.
A wider view may add more appeal to the scene.

A little more space to the LLC would certainly help - i do have that too - thanks for pointing that out!