Matt Returns

Hi! I was a member of NPN for years. I was a constant reader of comments from the experts and the community about posted images, and learned a great deal. But I never felt qualified to add to the conversation. I have now added years and thousands of images to my experience, and hope to contribute something new while I learn from others.

I recently read Guy Tal’s book, More Than a Rock. While I struggle with some of the author’s assertions about art, the book convinced me that my photography can be more than the competant use of my camera to capture pretty places. And the first step in improving my game must be to observe, study, and evaluate other peoples’ work.

So I return to NPN with a new mission: To study a wide variety of images and to identify and articulate what I do and do not like about them. Is there something beyond the beauty of the subject that makes the immage compelling? What emotions or story do I see in the image and what about the image evokes those feelings?

1 Like

Welcome back, Matt. Two things in your re-introduction resonated with me:

(1)

and (2)

As an amateur, I had to dig deep inside of me to get the courage to post photos here and also do critique. Luckily, this is a very welcoming community. I am slowly feeling more comfortable with each passing day. I’m certain you have lots to share with us. I look forward to your photos.

Hi and welcome back, Matt. I hope that you don’t feel intimidated just because you have less experience behind the lens than some. Whatever drives you to take photos is enough to “qualify” you to take part in conversation. Sharing why you are drawn or not drawn to a photo is a good place to start. As is asking someone how they got that shot if it’s not clear in their explanation. We all learn at different rates and photography is sufficiently complex these days to keep even more experienced folks busy. So please feel free to join in any of the conversations you see going on.

I really like the image you’ve included here. Forest canopy is something I think I need to get back to shooting. Lately it’s been very small things, but a sunlit branch (hemlock?) like this is irresistible. Looking forward to seeing more.

Welcome back Matthew! Glad to see you back and NPN and most happy to hear that you can contribute and comment now with some “experience” under your best! I know one of the main reasons many folks don’t “critique” or even comment because they don’t feel “qualified.” While that is certainly valid thinking, I would encourage all folks and say that everyone has an opinion regardless of their experience level.

Looking forward to your images and contributions!

Lon