Middle Teton in the Clouds

Image Description

Another image for our trip out west last September. Clouds started obscuring the Teton peaks but I felt lucky to capture this one. I had to ask my son who lives out that way and climbs these mountains what is the name of this peak and what is that black stripe on the mountain? He said it is the Middle Teton and the black stripe is call a black dike which is a crack in the mountain filled in with magma a millions of years ago.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Again, as in my previous post, I am interested in your emotional response on the atmospherics. My previous visit to the Tetons had bird blue skies so very different feel. I like this better. This is an iPhone image so please be kind. I took an image with my Canon R5 but the clouds already obscured the mountain.

Technical Details

iPhone 13 Pro Max
9mm 1/1100 sec f/2.8

Eva,

My impression is that this is a fantastic image from the Grand Tetons! The atmosphere is wonderful with the clearing/separating clouds. In fact I’m really enjoying the symmetry here - the mountain appearing right through the valley with very nearly perfectly symmetrical clouds on either side - AND that white clouds directly above the mountain - almost a little heart shaped… The anchoring of the scene with the treetops works very well too.

Only suggestion I have would be to go all the way to square to emphasize that symmetry even more. I think you have room to shave a little off the left. Of course, just an alternate suggestion.

Reminds me of the time I was just starting out with 4x5… I was shooting both 35mm and learning 4x5. I soon discovered that by setting up and shooting with 35mm first, I would always run out of time, get frustrated and not get the optimum image with the 4x5. As soon as I quit shooting with 35mm as my primary - it all changed. So… lesson learned - Get your image with the R5 FIRST, then pull out the cell phone! :roll_eyes: :wink:

1 Like

Yes, that black stripe is kind of interesting. I feel that the story is about the central peak, the opening around it, and the clouds. The forest below doesn’t add much to the scene so I wouldn’t include it. I like Lon’ suggestions of a square aspect ratio.

1 Like

@Lon_Overacker and @Igor_Doncov Thanks for your input. Here are two versions of the square crop - one with the forest and one without. I like the one without better. I debated on whether I should center the comp. I centered on the black dike line.

You had me wondering what was wrong with the image when I first opened it. The trees on the mountain were flat and kind of warped or melted looking. Then I read that this was a cell phone shot so I totally get it now. I like the composition as it is with maybe taking a smidgen off the left side to get that crack going right down the middle. It feels to me like that’s where it needs to be and also the left side feels just a bit heavy anyway. Wonderful, atosmospheric conditions, Eva.

1 Like

Eva, I like both the original format and the square with the trees. Don’t minimize the cell phone image, fine images - as you have here - are made with cell phones. To me, the light clouds and whiteness of the Middle Teton are the unique and amazing features of the image. It’s almost as if the middle peak is calling out, “Look at me.” Terrific image.

1 Like

Love that square crop with the trees Eva. I wish the clouds had cooperated long enough to get the same scene with the camera!

1 Like