Montezuma Oropendola

any

Specific Feedback Requested

Shot from the Costa Rican rainforest Lowland area. Of course it was in the rainforest. This particular word makes one of the most unusual nests I have ever seen. If you typically find a lone tree away from the rest of the forest and hang their nests from a big branch. The nests look like basketballs hanging in a group of conical vines. Fascinating stuff!

Technical Details

ISO 1000, 500 PF, F8, 450th, fill flash, full frame, D500

2 Likes

Spectacular bird! Everything looks good to me. The raindrops add so much atmosphere. The leaves on the branch are very cool and make me wonder if they are epiphytes taking advantage or are part of the tree itself. So interconnected is the life in a jungle. Well, everywhere actually, but it seems more so in that environment. Interesting to hear about their nests, too. I imagine them like larger versions of oriole nests, but they’re probably different in other ways. Maybe a little added canvas on the top? The background can certainly give it to you if you wanted to try it.

David, this is such a beautiful capture. You brought the image so close to our eyes. The details on feathers, moss, and branch are out of this world. To make it even better, there is nothing in the background. Sometimes that is so hard to get with wildlife photos. Superb capture!