Moon Setting Over Face Rock

This photo was taken at Face Rock State Wayside in Bandon, Oregon. and is the moon setting just before sunrise. I normally don’t care for star burst effects and didn’t set out to make this happen purposefully. I think it works, though.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback appreciated

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

It does work but it makes it hard to differentiate it from a setting or rising sun in a foggy mist. Otherwise, a nice shot. It’s going to rain here for the next two days so my moon shooting will have to come from old files.

A peaceful scene. I like the soft “burst” pattern coming from the Moon, as well as the reflection in the water. It is fitting that Face Rock is facing the Moon (or so the legend goes!).

It works for me! The soft light on the rock is very pleasing and is set off by the smaller darker rocks. I love the “double reflection” – I don’t remember seeing something like that before.

I’m always amazed at how bright the moon is relative to the surroundings. This view looks very good, with the long trails of reflected moon glow. While you don’t say what phase of the moon this is, I’ve seen this much brightness from the moon in a night shot when it was less than 1/4 full.

@Diane_Miller @chris10 @Mark_Seaver @Mark_Muller Thanks for your comments. Mark Muller, I’ve not heard that legend.

@Chris_Baird , it’s part of the story of Face Rock.

Legend says that Princess Ewauna, the beautiful daughter of Chief Siskiyou, was captured in the sea by an evil spirit. The evil spirit tried to make Princess Ewauna look into its eyes, but the princess refused, focusing solely on the moon. Now she is frozen for all time, looking at the moon.

@Mark_Muller Thank you for sharing the legend. It gives a new layer of meaning to the photo.

1 Like

Excellent image, Chris. I really like how Face Rock is really facing the moon like the legend. Well done.

1 Like